Relocating cold air return into isulated exterior wall

Old 01-07-06, 06:27 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating cold air return into insulated exterior wall

I am planning to remove a wall on the centre of my main floor, it has a cold air return. I am planning to relocate the return by following the joists towards either parallel exterior walls. This will consist of cutting a hole in the floor near the wall and put the register flat on the floor.

My prefrence however, would be to have the register at the bottom of the wall I chose, but, the wall is exterior and insulated.

Can a cold air return be located into such wall if proper isulation is installed?

Are all cold return vents located strictly in interior walls?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by DDOIRON; 01-13-06 at 07:13 PM. Reason: an other typo
Old 01-07-06, 06:34 PM
T
If you can insulate it sufficiently and not restrict the airflow there shouldnt be a problem.

Old 01-08-06, 07:06 AM
The ideal way is to have your supplies on the exterior walls and returns on the interior walls. But if that's the only practical spot for it you will be fine.

Old 01-08-06, 08:05 AM
F
question

My cold air returns are on the exterior walls but the walls are not insulated, is that the reason why I get cold air coming in the vent when the furnace is not on?

Old 01-08-06, 01:11 PM
E
Cold air return should not be placed on the floor as it will draw in all sorts of duct from the floor. Ideally, it is best to have 4-5" off the floor.

A cold air return is best when located in the centre of the room to improve the performance.

Old 01-09-06, 06:29 PM
D
It makes sense that the centre of the house is the most dynamic location, however, in my case, the centre of the room will no longer be there. Therefore, I see no other solution but to relocate the return on the exterior wall, not on the floor, the point about the colletion of dust etc... makes sense. Besides it is going to be less than 10 feet away than it's original emplacement, I can't see what effect this would have on the performace.

I gather that an other method (but somewhat costly) would be to have exterior fresh air to feed into the furnace $$$.

Thank you all for your comments.

Old 01-13-06, 07:31 PM
D
After examining this a bit more, I think I will be able to relocate the return on an other wall (interior) after all.

Since the return runs parrallel to the wall that is coming down, I can close the old one and redirect the air by opening the wall from the adjoining room that is perpendicular to the cold air return vent and feed the air through the floor joists which run towards the return vent. I think...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: