New run

Old 01-15-06, 10:53 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New run

Gentlemen:

I am finishing an over the garage bonus room and would like to add heat & A/C. The room measures 11’ x 22’ and is fully insulated but not yet drywalled. I have spent a couple hours reading many of the posts here but have a few questions.

My house is 1600 sq. ft., single level w/basement (unfinished), three years old. Furnace is upright in basement with extended plenum running the length of the basement. Fifteen 6” runs come off the plenum, with six runs dedicated to the basement; five of those are closed at the damper. Can I add a new run off the plenum for the bonus room without sacrificing performance to the others?

The new run will be around 30’-40’ with minimum three 90 degree elbows. What’s the maximum number of bends for a run of this length? The last 15’ or so will be running through unfinished attic space. I thought about using insulated flex in the attic portion, but the majority of the posts here advise against flex. What can I use to insulate the steel ducting in the attic? Can I simply wrap it with unfaced batting? The local home improvement store sells a type of foam/foil insulation for ductwork by the roll, but it is only 1/8” thick. Is this sufficient for my climate, southeast Michigan?

I would like to place two registers in the floor to allow maximum utility when placing furniture. Can I split a single run for two registers? If not, can I centrally locate the register on a wall to avoid obstruction by furniture?

The stairwell leading to the room will remain open and opens into the main living area. Is it critical to have a return for this room? Will the lack of a return negate any benefit of a new run to the room? I am mainly concerned about heat in the winter; I only sporadically use the A/C in the summer.

Thanks for your responses.

Greg D.
Port Huron, MI

Old 01-15-06, 05:09 PM
T
Thats a long way to go with added ducts. This should be designed by a professional to make sure that it will work correctly.

Old 01-16-06, 05:10 AM
L
OK, thanks thermo.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: