Exhaust hood over window?!? HELP!

Old 01-17-06, 01:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exhaust hood over window?!? HELP!

Hi- We are planning our inexpensive small kitchen reno. & need to have the stove in front of the window...so I am unsure how to proceed with a range hood?! The window starts just above the height of the range and leaves about 2 feet from window top to ceiling. The stove has 5 burners ranging from 16,000(1) to 9,500(2)BTU.

Any ideas fro my best route/approach of exhaust?!?
Thank you!!

Old 01-21-06, 07:45 PM
I am not sure about your area. But Stove should NOT be under a window.

Also it's part of the NKBA guide line they don't suggest range under a window.

Can't you put the range else where?

Old 01-23-06, 04:51 AM
E
Some Codes do not allow a stove under a window. Check your local code.

Old 01-31-06, 12:18 AM
B
hmmmm...

well,um... there isn't really much other choice-without moving the sink & plumbing or blocking the only window with a large refrigerator?! We are working with a 1920's kitchen & unable to financially do any major renovation.

I have had several plumbers over for an estimate to put a gas line in (switching from an electric range) & none have expressed concern over the location

do you know the reasoning? beyond the range hood!?

Thank you!

Old 01-31-06, 04:36 AM
E
Does Code allow a stove in front of a window in your city? Some constractors would do anything or say anything to get the job.

Be careful, Codes are there for specific reasons.

Old 01-31-06, 11:26 PM
B
city code?

I called around a few city code officials and the only codes they quoted were about range position in new builds and full renovations. None seemed to apply to our minor rehab, or even specifically about a stove under window except for the new build.
We are pretty much leaving the stove where it has been for seemingly decades-we've only been here a year- just switching from elec. to gas (for personal preference). Adding the range hood is just an extra i was hoping to negotiate...

Any thought as to how to proceed are appreciated!
thanks for any info!

Old 02-01-06, 06:11 AM
I would make sure you don't have any curtians or blinds on that window. I think the code is there due to fire to those things.

Not knowing how high the fan will be from top of the stove, I'd say if the fan is going to be 40" or more, the fan may not be worth anything.

Are you planning going outside on the top or back?

Old 02-01-06, 07:35 PM
T
The reason the local codes dont apply to your home is because it is old. Most codes exclude older homes (in my state everything pre 1980 is excluded) unless you are doing a major renovation. However, local codes may be more strict but never more lenient than state codes. So, if I were you, I would follow the strictest code to protect you from hazzards. You may not think there is a hazzard but the code is there because someone had something bad happen in that configuration. I have realized in getting older that I have been very lucky in the past. Please follow the code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: