Do i need insulating duct???

Old 01-17-06, 05:05 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do i need insulating duct???

Hi, I have a supply trunkline duct run trough family room ,i will box in ,about 18 feet 16x8 inch, and round registered duct 6" run form it -7 of them in joist place to rooms, my question, do i insualte w/ 1-1/2" thick duct insulation this run then it will be covered with 1/4" plywood the box [not drywall since the already have beam boxed w/ plywood also cieling is 16" x16" 1/4" plywood, i covereded it back w/ same tiles the 6" runs to registers,
i did also insualted in crawl space the longer trunkline and the suply 6" pipes since there is not heated [but i did 1 register from trunkline to keep warm water pipes].
I want for reason ,to keep warm air for bedrooms and in summer
for a/c no condesation, the family room is heated and cooled by 3 regs on cieling ,maybe i kicking myself??, is actually pretty warm here when heat kick on, beter then upstair front where that longer trunkline -insulated leads to]
Just wanted to know if makes sense ,

Old 01-17-06, 07:08 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I had a hard time following, but yes you need to insulate! Sounds like it will be in a conditioned space but it will be sealed up! Did you say you have a vent in the crawl-space!

Old 01-17-06, 08:10 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airman.1994
I had a hard time following, but yes you need to insulate! Sounds like it will be in a conditioned space but it will be sealed up! Did you say you have a vent in the crawl-space!
Yes i have 1 vent -registr i ncrawl space ,
now here in fam room if thsi trunkline will be boxed in ,then why insulate it ,i understand it will help keep warmer for the suply pipes which i cannot insulate [doent have enough left ,also they not long ,and they are run in joist space ,which is covered w/ plywood paneling.
yes the room is conditioned is hot here pretty good, and i thin kif i insualte it the box wont' be that warm but ,the pipes output will upstairs in bedrooms,
and here 3 reg in fam room.
So il insulate it tomorow before we close it up ,since il have about 25 feet by of beam and cieling. Thanks

Old 01-19-06, 03:42 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id cap that supply in the crawl space! Just making the crawl positive pressure! Not good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: