Adding ductwork to Basement

Old 01-23-06, 11:40 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding ductwork to Basement

I am putting in an open rec area in my basement (approx 750 square feet). I want to heat this area. I have a forced heating system. I have already added 3 new ducts off the original system to 3 new rooms put into my basement. I am concerned with overloading the system with additional ductwork branching off the main line. I would like to add 3-4 new ducts.

Should I come off the main line? Should I add this many new ducts (4)? Should I branch off of existing ducts that go to the main floor of my ranch house?

Old 01-23-06, 05:10 PM
you can't just take runs off anywhere you want. it will just steal airflow from the furthest runs. the ductwork needs to be sized properly to handle the load. the main trunk will only allow so many branch runs to be tapped off of it.

Old 01-24-06, 04:52 AM
E
6-7 supplies for 750 square feet sounds like a lot.

Old 01-24-06, 06:18 PM
T
You are probably better off adding supplementary heat for the basement. Fireplace, pellet stove, electric baseboards, or whatever you dream up. In the long run it will be less expensive and more comfortable. You can then add ducts for air conditioning off the existing ducts. Close them in winter open in summer and it should work great. You still need to have it worked out by an HVAC contractor to size the ducts but it should be simple.

Old 01-24-06, 07:09 PM
I agree with the supplement heat idea. I added a gas stove to my basement project as well. I have central heating as well, but it really isn't adequate for my comfort level. I'm so glad I added the stove. I use it all the time. Everyone that comes over comments on how warm it feels, and their finished basement is not as comfortable.
-jasper

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: