York furnace filter

Old 01-25-06, 09:22 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York furnace filter

Howdy,

We have just purchased an older home that has a York furnace (model: FG9C10020up11b) in the basement. Basically the only thing that the previous owners have done is to get it into the basement and hooked up. They have part of a plenum on the top but, nothing is hooked up to the older vents in the place.

My big question is about the furnace itself. There is no filter on it at all. In fact there is no place to put a filter. The bottom, where the blower is, has no opening. The previous owners had the inspection door off and duct taped the switch so the furnace would run. You really have to see this back woods community to understand the mentality.

I suspect that I need to cut out a section of the case to put in a filter and return air ducting? Is there any help out in the WWW?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 01-25-06, 10:02 AM
Where is the return air going into? Side or bottom?

Single return in living space? If yes, maybe it's behind the grill in the living area.

Old 01-25-06, 11:26 AM
F

Thanks for the response. There is no current return at all. And there is no place for the return to hook up to on the furnace. I looked all over and what they did was to remove the cover panel on the front bottom and tape the interlock switch on. It's the goofiest thing I've seen. Maybe I'll get some pics today and post those.

Paul

Old 01-25-06, 12:18 PM
Oh! LOL Ok.. looks like got a project to do then?

You plan on doing the ductwork, or hire in someone and get it done right?

Old 01-25-06, 05:18 PM
F
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Oh! LOL Ok.. looks like got a project to do then?

You plan on doing the ductwork, or hire in someone and get it done right?
Yea. Quite a project. I'll be doing the work, probably. But, the first thing I have to do is to figure out how to put a filter in and then run the ducting for the return and the heat.

Old 01-25-06, 07:18 PM
J
Ohhh my...

Depending on your particular model, you might be able to cut a hole in the side of the furnace panel, along the bottom near the blower, and then connect the return and filter to that hole.

Of course, take the side panel off the furnace before cutting it. My panel has four squares indicating where the hole should be cut (a square represents a corner of the hole). My York will allow the return to come in from either side... just make sure the filter goes between the return and the blower compartment.

John

Old 01-25-06, 07:21 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Filter could be inside the unit! Or last owner had not finished putting in a filter grill!

Old 01-26-06, 11:17 AM
F
Originally Posted by airman.1994
Filter could be inside the unit! Or last owner had not finished putting in a filter grill!
Thought I mentioned that. The last owner did not put anything on or into the furnace. I guess I need a filter grill? Not sure what the look like.

And I see the same square holes. on the base of the furnace on the oposite side of the inspection cover. I was hoping to frame around this thing. I guess I'll need doors on either side to get into it.

Old 01-26-06, 04:24 PM
T
You should install some kind of return air trunk. First you need to get from the furnace to the ceiling. You can get a Snappy Number 70 return kit to do this. It comes with the ducts and a filter. Do not cut a hole in the furnace until you are sure what you are going to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: