Adding heat to a basement with drop ceilings

Old 02-19-06, 07:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding heat to a basement with drop ceilings

I own a tri-level home which results in a partial basement. The basement is partially finished, needing only heat and flooring other than concrete.

I know from reading other posts that I can tap into my main trunk from the top and drop the heat from the ceiling. The problem is the ceiling is of the drop variety. Am I correct to think the next possible area to place my vent is a little ways down on the wall? If so, how far down, if not what are my options?

Side question is do I need a return line since this is in the basement?

By the way, The room I want to vent has two exterior walls one with a window. Not sure if this is useless info, but thought it may help with the replies.

Thanks for helping me out.

Old 02-19-06, 07:22 PM
T
Why is it that you cant have the registers in the ceiling? I may not be understanding you right but a drop ceiling should make it easier. Im thinking suspended. Am i wrong?

Old 02-20-06, 05:12 AM
E
Agreed. It shouldn't difficult to add a supply in the drop ceiling.

If you want your basement to be a liveable environment, then adding a cold air return is mandatory. This will help balance the air temperature by remove the cold air from the floor.

Old 02-20-06, 09:03 AM
T
You are right it is a suspending ceiling. I just wasn't sure if it was normal practice to place the register in a ceiling tile. It seems it would make it difficult to work around in the future.

I guess that concern isn't as big as I thought it was.

Thanks for the replies

Old 02-20-06, 10:04 AM
X
Originally Posted by em69
If you want your basement to be a liveable environment, then adding a cold air return is mandatory. This will help balance the air temperature by remove the cold air from the floor.
I found this comment to be quite interesting.

Are there any exceptions to this rule? I moved into a 19 year old, split-entry home last August. The basement is half garage and half game room/laundry/hall/bathroom. The hall has a ceiling HVAC vent; the gameroom has two ceiling HVAC vents; and the bathroom has a ceiling HVAC vent. Until I read your comment, I never thought about the cold air returns........there are none in the basement.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 02-20-06, 11:51 AM
E
In the basement, supply vents should be placed on the ceiling and cold air returns are placed near the floor and away from the supply vents.

With this set-up, the cold air returns not only draw the cold air off the floor, but also help to draw the warm air down to the floor level. This is what helps to achieve a balanced temperature.

If all vents (supply and return) are on the ceiling, or if you don't have any cold air returns, then you will never get the cold off the floor.

Old 02-20-06, 12:17 PM
X
Originally Posted by em69
In the basement, supply vents should be placed on the ceiling and cold air returns are placed near the floor and away from the supply vents.

With this set-up, the cold air returns not only draw the cold air off the floor, but also help to draw the warm air down to the floor level. This is what helps to achieve a balanced temperature.

If all vents (supply and return) are on the ceiling, or if you don't have any cold air returns, then you will never get the cold off the floor.
There is no doubt that the temp. in the basement is much cooler than the first floor - I guess this is why. I could probably install one in the game room (25' X 12') - I wonder if that would be sufficient?

Old 02-21-06, 04:27 AM
E
Originally Posted by XS6DFG0
There is no doubt that the temp. in the basement is much cooler than the first floor - I guess this is why. I could probably install one in the game room (25' X 12') - I wonder if that would be sufficient?
1 return would be ideal for that size of space.

Old 02-21-06, 05:53 AM
X
Thank you very much

Old 02-25-06, 07:23 AM
K
Proper Cold air to Hot Air ratio...

I read in some ducting info that there should be 30% MORE cold air return volume than hot air input. I suspect that ratio will keep the cold air drawn from any space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: