Plenum - Rectangular or Round?

Old 03-01-06, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Plenum - Rectangular or Round?

Hi All,

I am in the process of changing the central trunk line/plenum and some of the contractors I talked to, suggest a round plenum instead of the usual rectangular one that I have seen in most houses around here. I currently have a rectangular trunkline (18 ft x 1 ft x 8 inch - L x W x H). I was wondering if round pipes are commonly used in trunklines and if there are any pros/cons in using a round plenum. Do I need to look into the radius of these pipes. As usual appreciate any info/comments on this. Thanks.

/S

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 04:21 PM
round is best for airflow. hopefully it will be sized properly.

Old 03-01-06, 05:55 PM
Hello tinner73,

Thanks. Also do I need to pay attention to the duct take off locations off of this round plenum. Is there a way to calculate the sizing (based on the existing plenum)?? Appreciate the info.

/S

Old 03-01-06, 06:52 PM
Round is usually reserved for commercial/industrial installations because there is more space for ducts in larger buildings. Rectangular ducts help you keep your ceiling height in a home. I would stick to rectangular ducts as they are easier to adapt to and easier to install. You wont benefit enough with the round to make a difference.

Old 03-02-06, 01:51 PM
Wink round pipe is best

with the contractors are suggesting round pipe... i guess i assumed it was in an attic or crawlspace where there was enough room. round pipe is the best for airflow regardless if it's resi or commercial.

thermo....i don't know how much ductwork you run.. but it's mainly what i do. round pipe is hands down cheaper...easier...and delivers the best airflow. if you have to offset some ductwork two different ways it's alot easier to spin an adjustable elbow than make a rectangular double offset. if you have the room round is the best.

Old 03-02-06, 04:03 PM
Hello Tinner73,

That's right, its in the crawlspace. Currently I am trying to figure out how the duct take offs should be placed that is right now the rectangular plenum has duct take offs on either side of the trunkline (meaning duct takeoffs on either side of the plenum start to take off at the same point on the trunk). I wish I could explain it better. I am wondering if this configuration will work with the round pipes... Thanks.

/S

Old 03-03-06, 01:30 PM
well.........if your gonna have a supply plenum (can) and two round takeoffs going in opposite directions, this is pretty common. use metal all the way because animals like to get into crawlspace flex. now, all you'll need a ductulator and someone who knows how to use it.

Old 03-08-06, 04:05 PM
Thanks tinner73. Should be done by this Saturday or atleast shooting for it. I am using Round Plenum 10 Inch diameter to replace 12 inch x 8 inch of rectangular ones that I have currently installed. Thanks.

/S