Mold in Residential Crawlspace

Old 03-07-06, 07:16 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold in Residential Crawlspace

I hope there are experts on this subject matter that can steer me in the right direction. I have received a concern about mold growing on floor joists in a crawlspace of a residential home. I don't want to overact to this situation and/or waste my $$$. Nor do I want anyone to be sick either. I looked at the crawlspace and the areas in question and have to admit that it was not what I expected-it looked fairly good especially after I compared it to my home's crawlspace. I contacted a company in the area that performs air quality surveys/mold remediation and they want too much $$$ to take samples and send them off for analysis. Another company that performs general cleaning for homes looked at the crawlspace and said it was very typical of homes in my location. In fact, he stated that most homes have mold growing to some degree. Obviously some people may be more susceptible to mold. I suspect that any remediation would only be temporary without some major spending.

Any suggestions would be appreciated-at least a starting point.

Thanks

Old 03-07-06, 01:33 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If you see mold don't spend money to test! Just clean it up! All crawlspace's in green grass areas will have mold!

Old 03-07-06, 01:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
50/50 bleach/water mixture will kill mold. Trying to reduce moisture levels in the crawlspace will help retard its regrowth.

Old 03-14-06, 03:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No answwer for you Tiger,but I will add acuople more ?'s if that's ok.
Is that 50-50 mix to be used a preventive measure also,or just for the cleanup?If just for the cleanup, is there anything out there that can be used as a preventive against growth? Any help is appreciated and any help in directing me where to look for more info on this would be appreciated also. Tiger do you know how you got the mold?Crawlspace insulated anywhere?

Old 03-14-06, 08:28 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
First of all I have never seen a crawl space that doesn't have mold! Here is what to do to keep mold from growing! Vapor barrier must be installed and overlapped and sealed! Vents must be closed, and a dehumidifier designed for low temp must be installed! These will be around 100 pint per day! If you have mold now! it should be cleaned up! Their are so many ways to do this. We use an airless sprayer with EPA approved chemicals! This will kill the mold! In heavy areas we will HEPA vac first! Once the sanitize has done its job and dried we will spray an antimicrobial inhibitor on all floor joist and sub floor! Then you can close vents install Vapor barrier and dehumidifier!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: