Help with a hot room

Old 03-07-06, 07:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with a hot room

I have a 2500 sf one story house in Texas that is about 25 years old. It has the heating/AC unit in the attic, suspended. The ductwork all goes through the attic. All the returns are in the walls close to the ceiling in the hallway, which is located near the center of the house.

The problem is my music studio, a 20 x 20 room located at the far end of the house from the unit. It is surrounded on two sides by the outdoors and one side by the garage. And it gets HOT in there. To be comfortable in my room, I have to turn the tstat five degrees cooler, and if I have several folks in there playing, it is even worse.

It is gets even hotter when I close the doors. In order to keep the sound down in the rest of the house, I have blocked the bottoms of the double doors that lead to the living room and then I close the door from the living room to the hall so I am getting virtually no air sucked out of the room. Leaving the doors open to allow the air to flow is NOT an option. And even when all the doors are open, the room is still hot.

My idea was this: Run a takeoff from the main vent, fairly close to the unit in the attic, and run it straight to the studio and put in a second vent on the ceiling. I would also run a dedicated return line straight from the big metal box into the room and attach it fairly high up on a wall or in the middle of the ceiling itself, since hot air rises.

Before we even get to whether I should do this myself or not, I assume I probably have some wrongful thinking somewhere. I would not be adding any additional space to cool, just redirecting the air and adding another return to help the air flow.

All of the other rooms heat and cool fine. The living room gets a little warm when I close the door to the hall, but I thought that the additional return in the studio would also be of benefit there, aiding the air flow to that part of the house when the door to the hall is shut.

What are your thoughts as to the plan? I assume I probably have something wrong.

Old 03-07-06, 08:04 PM
T
Sounds like you have the right idea.

Old 03-08-06, 04:45 AM
E
If you are saying that you will be adding another supply and a return, then that sounds good.
Make sure that your return is at the opposite side of the room from the supply...this will help draw the cold air across the room.

Old 03-08-06, 07:03 PM
D
Thanks to those of you who replied so far

Thanks for your input. It's always encouraging to me when the most obvious, logical way is actually the correct one. Moving on...

I have never done this kind of work before. Can anybody recommend someone in the North Dallas/Carrollton area where I can get the parts, supplies, and some advice?

Old 03-08-06, 08:49 PM
T
I know a guy in Lewisville, is that close enough?

Yes your idea is a good one but I fear there is more heat in your room than you can get rid of easily being you are asking this question in early March and not mid August.

Might want to consider a mini-split, ptac, or window unit to supplement what you already have. Kinda depends on what your budget and expectations are.

Old 03-15-06, 08:51 AM
D
Texas Tech

Actually, I have been in the house for three years and I am anticipating what it is like in August.

There is no place to put a window unit and I had to go that route in my last house, and the noise was a killer, since it is also a recording studio. I don't know what a ptac or a split is, so I need some education there.

Lewisville is darn close. If you have a name or number, I would appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: