Cold air return Vented to outside

Old 03-08-06, 04:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cold air return Vented to outside

I bought a new house and see the the cold air return on the furnace has a vent work going outside. I have never seen this before. Is there a reason for this?

Old 03-09-06, 03:15 PM
It's a common thing done on older homes, what it is, it's drawing in fresh air into the home when the furnace fan is running. With this, it helps supply air into the home that is lost up the chimeny, dryer vents, bath/range fans.

it's not done much anymore on new homes cuz there is more draw back than good.

I usely remove it from the duct work, and then bring it over next to the water heater/furnace.

Old 03-09-06, 06:51 PM
T
In the 3 states surrounding me, it is code to have this makeup air duct. It has been for years for commercial applications and has been for at least 5 years for residential. Dont change it you need it.

Old 03-09-06, 07:22 PM
Check your local code if that has to stay on.

The draw back with this hooked up is when it's really cold, it put stress on the heat exchanger, in the summer, it adds more load to the A/C coil. (heat humdity) and if you run your fan 24/7, it will make the home cooler in the winter, and warmer/humid in the summer.

Here it's not code to tie it to the return, just as long you got make up air in the utlity room.

Old 03-10-06, 04:04 PM
J
Thank you, Jay

The house is only 11 years old, I live in Michigan and do not know if it is code or not.
What do you mean when you say "I usely remove it from the duct work, and then bring it over next to the water heater/furnace"

Do you mean you just have the end of the vent that is going to the outside open and near the water heater?

THanks
Jason

Old 03-10-06, 05:08 PM
Yes, I disconnect the pipe from the return, cap that opening off, then run a new line over and down near the floor of the water heater then do a "U" back up about 2 feet to help control the incoming draft.

Old 03-10-06, 06:07 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
What Jay is saying is that he converts the incoming pipe to a combustion air intake, so that the fuel burning appliances always have a source of outdoor air. This reduces the amount of conditioned indoor air flying up the chimney, and it insures a good draft.

Old 03-11-06, 10:11 PM
S
outside vent to cold air return

I also have a vent going from the outside to the cold air return, but there is a second one that goes from the outside to right next to the furnace. If code allows it, would I be better off to disconnect the vent going to the cold air return?

Old 03-12-06, 06:02 AM
Oh yeah, then I'd cap that off in a heart beat!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: