Return air construction.

Old 03-11-06, 06:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Return air construction.

Hopefully this will have to be my last post in regards to HVAC. I have finally have my plan layed out for my basement. The last thing I am unsure of is the return air construction. When I had my house built I tried to video tape everything so that I would have a good refrence in the future. I noticed that the builders did not add the cold air returns until the drywall was up. I know that they are enclosed inside wall cavitys and then attached to the return air duct in the basement. The question I have is how are they attached to the main return duct. The builders used Therm-o-pan to enclose the floor joist so I can't see how they attached them without taking a portion out. Before I went and did that I figured I would seek out advice first. Do the builders just drill holes through the floor and then seal up the floor joist with the therm-o-pan. I just want to know if that is how it is done, because I plan to use wall cavity's and tap right into these floor joists. So I guess I want to know do I drill holes in my top plate and if so how many and how big. Then extend the existing therm-o-pan to accomodate this. Hopefully this is not confusing I just want to have an exact idea of how to build these returns.

Old 03-11-06, 09:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall cavity is used as the "duct" for returns, and then the top plate is cut out and panned around it and going to the main return that has a hole cut out about 8" square.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: