Venting kitchen through rim joist

Old 03-19-06, 10:08 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting kitchen through rim joist

I am installing a new kitchen hood and unlike the current one, I want to vent it the outside. I will be installing cabinets that go to the ceiling with no soffit, just a 6" space that will be covered by molding. The hood requires a 6" vent and since the header for the exterior wall extends down 3 inches, my only choice appears to be to go up inside the ceiling and vent through the rim joist. This is a 2 story house and the kitchen is on the first floor. Is it OK to cut the 6" hole through the 10" rim joist? If so, any precautions or issues?

Thanks,

D

Old 03-19-06, 08:42 PM
T
Its fine to cut through the rim joist. Just install squash blocks from the top plate to the subfloor and it will be stronger than when you started. Use 2x4s and cut the same legth as the width of the floor joists. Then nail them to the joists, sitting on the top plate and supporting the bottom plate upstairs through the subfloor. A good carpenter will already have them there so check first.

Old 03-20-06, 03:23 PM
D
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. My gut told me that other than the work involved with making the hole, it would be fine since all the weight is carried by the framing below. I will heed your advice and build extra support around the hole.

DVAB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: