Got Enough?

Old 04-06-06, 09:12 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got Enough?

So, I'm in the process of finishing the basement and i'm to HVAC. The house is a ranch, so the basement is fairly long and in the shape of an "L" if that makes sense. The short part of the "L" includes a bedroom and a bathroom. I plan to tap into the trunk line in each of these 2 rooms and bring a vent down through the soffitt. The long part of the "L" is 1 big room that will be used for part TV room and part rec room. This area is about 650 sq ft. Currently there are 2 dedicated runs w/vents coming off the trunk line - one in the TV area and the other in the Rec Area. They are along the outside wall.

So, my questions are this:

1- Will I need to add more vents in the TV/Rec area of the house?
2- I can tap into my trunk line and then out through the soffits for additional vents in the TV/Rec area, but they are opposite of the outside walls...but it would be very easy to do. Should I do this?
3-The kicker...Do i NEED cold air returns?? Several people have told me I probably don't need them in the basement, but I'm not sure. If I do need them, where should they be placed?

Thanks in Advance!!
-Tony

PS - i'm finishing about 1,000 sq ft total. The furnace is in the basement. I live in Kansas City, Mo. The house is about 3 years old and is completely in the ground (not a walkout or daylight).

Old 04-06-06, 05:28 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by trk1616

So, my questions are this:

1- Will I need to add more vents in the TV/Rec area of the house?
2- I can tap into my trunk line and then out through the soffits for additional vents in the TV/Rec area, but they are opposite of the outside walls...but it would be very easy to do. Should I do this?
3-The kicker...Do i NEED cold air returns?? Several people have told me I probably don't need them in the basement, but I'm not sure. If I do need them, where should they be placed?

Thanks in Advance!!
-Tony

PS - i'm finishing about 1,000 sq ft total. The furnace is in the basement. I live in Kansas City, Mo. The house is about 3 years old and is completely in the ground (not a walkout or daylight).

1. Maybe. Did you do a heat-loss calculation for these rooms? Did you figure the cfm and outlet temperature for the existing registers?

2. Yes, if you need more heat/airflow. It isn't the preferred method of "perimeter" heat but it will add heat to the room. The outside walls may be cold if not properly insulated.

3. How will the air in these rooms return to the furnace without a return air duct? It would probably be best to have a RA duct.

Old 04-06-06, 06:06 PM
I am just going to add my few cents here.

Most likley your current system will be able to handle the basement, most home heating system is figured for basement heat as well.

You really should have a return for the basement, it iwll help pull cold air off the floor.

Where to put returns? Hard to say with out seeing your floor plans and duct lay out.

I'd suggest put return in the bedroom (smaller sized grill), and one in the family room (larger sized). Place then in the wall down near the floor.

Old 04-07-06, 04:45 AM
E
Originally Posted by trk1616
Anyone who says you don't need a return in a basement doesn't understand that hot rises and cold air drops. It is impossible to achieve proper air flow and balance without a cold air return. Also, it is this part of the system that will remove the cold air from the floor.

Install them near the floor (just above the baseboard) and preferably not near a supply vent (which should be on the ceiling). You want the return to be in a position where it draws the hot air down and across the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: