noisy exhaust fan

Old 04-19-06, 11:58 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
noisy exhaust fan

The combo exhaust fan/light installed in our new bathroom ceiling has become rather noisy. I believe it simply hummed when it was originally installed. Now it sounds like I have a jet roaring in my bathroom! What could have changed over a short period of time? Any thoughts on how to get back to tranquility? /db

Old 04-20-06, 06:14 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Sounds like an airflow problem. Check to be sure the damper is opening at the fan, and on the wall cap or roof cap.
What make and model is your fan?

Old 04-20-06, 08:51 PM
D
I no longer have the box, but the instruction manual makes reference to NuTone models 8663/8673/8664RP. I'm not opposed to replacing it with something better, if recommended. Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-20-06, 10:02 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Probably no need to replace the fan, just check the damper. Here is the installation guide for the fan. You should be able to access the damper easily using the exploded diagram.
Good luck! You can do it!
http://www.nutone.com/PDF/InstallGui...RFins87588.pdf

Old 04-21-06, 05:41 PM
D
thank you Andy - I'll give it a try! Diann

Old 04-26-06, 02:42 AM
pgallant
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm currently having the same problem (noisy). I took it apart and it so far it looks like the fan blade was rubbing against the motor housing. I got it to quiet down but now I think the fan blade may just be sitting there while the motor shaft is spinning. After doing some research, Ebay sells the fan blades and claims that this is a common problem where the blade cracks. I just bought one. I figured it's a lot cheaper ($18.00) than buying a new one.
Hope this helps...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: