bad smell from only one air vent.

Old 04-23-06, 09:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bad smell from only one air vent.

I have 2 story house, In one day we smelled something really bad whenever we turned on heater or fan from only one in down stairs out of 11 total vent in our house.

So I hired the air duct cleaner to clean our air duct system but after couple of hours. smell comes again.
In my whole my life , I never smell this kind of smell.
I am guess it would dead squarrel or squarrel urine, but when the air duct cleaner guy clean it, nothing came out of that duct.

Any one have this experience before ?
What is the best way to fix this problem without replacing air duct system.
How difficult is to replace air duct system?
Any input I appreciate in advance

Sincerely
Jamwa

Old 04-27-06, 08:14 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looks like you might need to locate the source of bad smell by opening up the duct. Maybe if you can open it up at a 90 degree turn, so you can shine a flashlight down the duct and look. I don't know what kind of cleaning technique or equipment the duct cleaner guy used, but he obviously didn't find it.

With the duct open, turn on the fan and see if smell is still upstream. If so, maybe go 10 feet further upstream, open the duct and try again. Eventually you will find it. Maybe you can just remove that one section of duct and replace it.

Does the duct maybe have insulation on the inside? If so, animal urine would have soaked in, and wouldn't be found by a cleaning service. Replacement of that section would be your only option.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: