Leaking AC duct installed by contractor

Old 04-28-06, 08:51 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking AC duct installed by contractor

I had an unfinished attic space framed and drywalled by a contractor and also included in his scope of work was to install a HVAC register. He did this by cutting the main supply line for a small upstairs room and inserted an aluminum tee fitting from which he ran a smaller line to the new register. To hold the duct on the tee he used long tie-wraps and duct tape. About 3 days later I noticed no air coming out of the register so when I inspected the tee I noticed that the supply duct had come off and was dumping cold air directly into the attic. I loosly reattached the supply duct with a tie wrap. I called our contractor and he was supposed to come back with an HVAC guy the next day. When I came home the next day nothing had been done! I called the contractor who said the HVAC guy had given him an absurd estimate of about $500.00 so he told him to take a hike. Here I am a week later and the contractor said he doesn't know what to do (At least he's honest) and that he's calling around trying to get another HVAC to come out. I'm fairly handy at fixing things at home but I know nothing about HVAC. Can anyone here shed some light on what an HVAC job like this might cost? Do you think I could do it myself? If you want additional info like line size etc I'll be glad to reply with that after I go home and measure. Our house is about 1,950 sq. ft. and I've been told the AC unit we have is oversized. I know there's a way to look at the model number to determine the size of the unit but I can't remember. I'll also reply with that info.

Craig

Old 04-28-06, 12:51 PM
C
So, are you saying that he cut into your existing round supply duct and installed a Tee?

Then ran rigid pipe out to the register?

If thats the case, just put some screws in the pipe where it connects to the Tee. 3 is usually sufficient, but you can put as many as you want.

If it's flexible ducting, then it will have an inner liner, similar to those flexible dryer vents. Simply pull the insulation and the outer liner back to expose the inner liner. Now tape that inner liner to the Tee. Now put a tie wrap around it and cinch it down tight. Pull the insulation up and pull the outer liner up and tape it down real good. Put a tie wrap on it and cinch it down real good.

That should hold it.

Old 05-01-06, 04:28 AM
E
Originally Posted by ChrisHarris
If thats the case, just put some screws in the pipe where it connects to the Tee. 3 is usually sufficient, but you can put as many as you want.
...and add some aluminum tape around the edge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: