Lights????

Old 05-04-06, 02:02 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lights????

I have a crawl space that is EXTREMELY wet. Will a string of lights be sufficient to dry it out or will that cause more moisture? Everyone says plastic moisture barrier. A little help. E-mail me at SORRY@NOEMAIL.com. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

*Moderator note: No e-mail addresses allowed in the forums for your own safety. Spammers scan forums for e-mail addresses.

Last edited by mattison; 05-06-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-04-06, 05:30 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Lights will not do it! 6 mil poly overlaped by one foot and sealed. Close all vents and install a 90 pint high eff dehumidifier.

Old 05-05-06, 01:10 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Before I invested in a dehumidifier I would definitely install a vapor barrier and make darn sure that ALL the vents were open and not obstructed. Natural ventilation of a crawl space is much cheaper than running a dehumidifier.

Old 05-05-06, 06:19 PM
Opening all the vents will not work unless you are in a dry climate. If its 60% RH outside with the vents open it will be higher in the crawl! Natural ventilation can not be achieved by a half dozen 6x8 foundation vents. The only way to control mold and high humidity is buy using a dehumidifier. 6.35 amps and 90 pint per day at 80 and 60%rh is not a lot of power.

Old 05-05-06, 07:12 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I disagree.

I do not live in a "dry" climate, it is said that people in the Seattle area do not tan, they rust. Our official color is moss green. I do not have any moisture problems in my crawl space. No mold and no mildew.

If you have adequate ventilation and a sealed vapor barrier on the ground the moisture content of the air in the crawl space will be the same as the moisture content in the air that ventilates the crawl space.

A dehumidifier running 24/7 and drawing 6.35 Amperes at 120 volts would use 18.28 kilowatt hours per day or 548 kilowatt hours in a 30 day month. If your electricity cost is eights cents per kilowatt hour then it would cost almost $5.00 a month to run just the dehumidifier. My TWO MONTH bill for electricity is only $58.00 so an additional $10.00 to $11.00 per billing cycle would be almost a 20% increase in my power consumption.

Even if the dehumidifier only ran 50% of the time it would be a 10% increased amount of power. This is NOT insignificant.

Add to this the necessity (and expense) of either installing a condensate transfer pump or manually draining the the dehumidifier tank daily and it is easy to see that the VERY FIRST thing to do is to install a properly sealed vapor barrier AND proper ventilation. In MOST cases (not all) this will solve the problem.

Old 05-06-06, 08:01 AM
I live in what they call a green grass state. Their is not a crawl-space in my state that does mot have a mold problem unless it has a dehumidifier! The dehumidifier will have to run wide open for two our three days be for it will reach set point of 45-50% then it should only run 4 to 5 hrs a day. Bringing in 50 - 70% rh by venting will never work. That's why Dehumidification is the only answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: