in-line duct fan for crawlspace venting question

Old 05-09-06, 01:39 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
in-line duct fan for crawlspace venting question

Hi All,

In my basement is a section of duct pipe running from the crawlspace up the wall and venting outside near the ceiling. Near the top, an in-line fan blows air outside. I'm not sure if the previous owner installed the fan, or if it was part of the original building.

Recently this fan began to make a lot of noise, so I replaced it with a Suncourt model. The installation seemed pretty simple, but the fan made a high-pitched whine and eventually died a few days later. Not sure if I got a bad fan, if the brand is unreliable, or if I somehow messed up what seemed like a simple installation.

My questions are: Is this fan even necessary? If so, what is a good brand of in-line duct fan (6" diameter, ~250 CFM)? And should the fan be set to run continuously (it wasn't wired with a switch, it just ran all the time)?

Thanks for any input!

Sean

Old 05-09-06, 02:04 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sounds like a Radon fan!

Old 05-09-06, 02:15 PM
F
I don't think it's a radon fan, as most of the Radon mitigation systems I've seen use a thicker PVC pipe rather than simple sheet metal duct pipes. Plus they have a radon measurement device to determine when to turn on the fan. This is just a duct that terminates just below the floor and vents at the ceiling right outside the window (Radon fans probably wouldn't vent near a window).

Anyway, there is an intake vent on the opposite side of the room that runs from outside to the crawlspace. I'm thinking that this is meant to provide airflow across the crawlspace to dry things out.

Old 05-09-06, 06:14 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are in a green grass state I'd remove both an add a dehumidifier. If you are in a dry area this will be fine.

Old 05-10-06, 08:34 AM
F
Thanks. I live in Colorado, plains side, and it's very dry. I guess I'll keep using a fan, but does anyone have any suggestions for a good brand to use? The Suncourt one died on me after a few days of use.

Old 05-10-06, 06:22 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Fantech makes a good long-lived fan for these purposes. Check their in-line duct fans.
www.fantech.net

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: