adding returns to newly insulated garage

Old 05-22-06, 06:04 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding returns to newly insulated garage

Hello, i have a 1200sq foot home running on a single heat pump. The attached garage has a bonus room over it. (this is the only room on the second level). I have insulated the garage door and glued flat fiberboard (OC703) to the walls and would like to add HVAC to it. (i want to use the garage as a studio)

Can i 'splice' the vent and return going to the bonus room and add them to the garage? I realize this will be additional load on the unit, but the insulation has really taken alot of stress off of it.

Old 05-22-06, 01:33 PM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
I'm not a HVAC guy, but I think HVAC systems are balanced and ducted accordingly. Splicing into an existing duct and adding an additional XXXs/f of load might give you a disappointing result in both spaces.
You might consider separate heat/AC source for the garage or having your existing system evaluated professionally to determine the best way to extend it.

Old 05-22-06, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said dont cut into the runs for the room above. Also you dont say if the floor to it has insulation in it. Id check code there also you cant have runs from the home go into a garage. Id say best just put in small window heatpump in the garage wall. Just turn it on when you are out there
glued flat fiberboard (OC703) to the walls
Dont know what the R on it is but you need a R 13 in the walls there.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: