Ducted whole house fan in Tri-level with low roof pitch??

Old 06-08-06, 07:42 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ducted whole house fan in Tri-level with low roof pitch??

I recently bought a tri-level home and want to add a whole house fan (I fell in love with the one installed in my last home).

It seems to me that the best place to locate the fan would be on the upper level (where the master bedroom is). Unfortunately the central hall on the upper level is pretty close to the outside wall. This means that there is not enough clearance above the ceiling to install a whole house fan (apparently need at least the diameter of the fan blades clear above).

So... has anyone every installed a whole house fan and then run a duct between the fan and an intake grille?? If I did this I could put the fan in the middle of the attic (the only place there is clearance) and place the intake grille in the central hall (maybe in a wall).

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Adam

Old 06-09-06, 08:04 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Hi Adam,
I too am a big fan (pardon the pun) of whole house fans!
In your case, as you mentioned, you might want to mount a fan horizontally (blowing sideways) on the attic floor, with an horizontal intake duct to the ceiling grille. This does sound like the best option. You will want to keep the run as short and straight as possible, as propeller fans don't do well with higher static pressures. Another option would be to install a fan on the roof, with a drop to a ceiling grille. E-bay often has centrifugal exhaust fans at good prices. You will need a damper to prevent backdraft when the fan is off in either case.
Good luck!

Old 06-09-06, 10:08 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice Andy. I was wondering last night (as I lay in bed pondering all the work this house needs) if I wasn't maybe "over thinking" the problem. Will a whole house fan really perform that poorly if placed on the middle level of a tri-level house??

I've got plenty of attic space on the middle level and it seems that if I open the windows on the upper level the cool air will be drawn through regardless of the fact that the upper level windows are 4.5 feet above the middle level windows.

I can see that what I'm suggesting isn't ideal (the upper level collects the warmest air and it would be best to purge it right out the roof at the upper level) but it seems like it would work.

Anyone else have a whole house fan on a level other than the upper level??

Thanks,

Adam

Old 06-09-06, 08:44 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
No guarentees, but mounting it on the mid-level would probably work, especially if you run it on high with the windows open on the upper level.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: