Hot garage

Old 07-28-06, 03:11 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hot garage

My problem is that I have a finished bonus room over the garage. It was done by the folks who had owned the house previously. I have had two vents and a return added to the bonus room, but because it is above the garage it seems that a lot of the heat from the garage escapes up into the bonus room and makes it hard to keep the rest of the upstairs cool. Is there a way that I could install a blower vent of sorts in the garage that could remove the hot air from it to help cool the garage down and help with the problem in the bonus room and upstairs.

Old 07-28-06, 04:16 PM
Is the ceiling of the garage insulated ?

There's no reason though that you couldn't install a fan to exaust the hot air but you would have to also install a grill or dampers to pull in air from the outside.

Old 09-03-06, 01:02 PM
B
Bonus Room Overheated by Garage

We have the same problem, a bonus room over the garage, which extends out from the rest of the house and is therefore somewhat isolated. All summer long the rest of the house is handled well by the AC, but the bonus room is easily 5 degrees hotter--it hits you as soon as you walk through the doorway. We've installed a big ceiling fan in the bonus room, which helps a little but not nearly enough. This wing is also in direct sunlight most of the day, with three large windows. We never get to enjoy the view because we have to keep the blinds closed all the time. We're wondering about controlling the heat from the garage, but we have cinderblock construction--can exhaust fans and vents be installed through cinderblock walls? Or can we install fans in the garage door windows? How do they get power without interfering with the garage door?

Old 09-04-06, 03:48 PM
Wink

but we have cinderblock construction--can exhaust fans and vents be installed through cinderblock walls?

You sure can .Not hard to cut a hole in the block and put a exhaust fan in it . Put it in one end of the garage high. You need air inlet for the fan. You can put some down low in the garage door. Ones that you can open and close for winter. or in the wall at this end also.

ncstlrfan Does the attic have vents there . Could you put a attic vent fan there

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: