AC does not reach 2 rooms upstairs?

Old 08-02-06, 08:09 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC does not reach 2 rooms upstairs?

I live in a somewhat newer home built in 2002 or so. it does have central heating/ac controls upstairs and downstairs separately. The downstairs works great. the upstairs in a few of the rooms work good. but two of the rooms are absolutely crap. one room in particular you can barely feel the cool air coming out and it doesnt cool the room at all. the second room you can feel a little bit more air. there is a return located outside the doors of these two rooms (they are adjacent to eachother).

its been bugging me that there isnt any cooling in these rooms. and it probably doesnt help that the garage which is very hot underneath it. Any ideas on what the problem could be? or what i could do to improve it? ive had the heater guy come out once and he used a temp probe to test the temps coming from the vents, and they checked out okay. he also did some rewiring of the relays and whatnot up in the attic (where the blower and heater are) since they seem to have been not wired properly.

Old 08-02-06, 08:16 AM
M
I am not an HVAC guy but its possible there is a leak in the ductwork which would explain why very little air is coming out of the vents. Also if the 2 rooms that receive only a little air are on the side of the house opposite the blower then that could also explain the reduction in the amount of air coming out of the vents. I know in our house the air coming out of the vents on the far end of the house does not come out has hard as the air vents closest to the blower.

Old 08-02-06, 08:27 AM
M
whats funny is that the blower doesnt sit maybe one wall away from the rooms. right in the center of the house. in fact the room the blower is probably closest to is the room that gets the least cooling. i believe that the heater guy tested for leaks and didnt find any. whats funny is that the master bedroom gets chilly while the other rooms are peachy warm. while the last two rooms can get unbearably warm especially with the doors closed.

Old 08-05-06, 10:15 PM
L
i would look and see if you have dampers on each line the rooms that are hot might be closed down to much

Old 08-15-06, 02:34 AM
O
Originally Posted by miztahsparklez
while the last two rooms can get unbearably warm especially with the doors closed.
Don't close the doors if you have a central return. The air entering the room needs an unretricted path back to the central return.
See http://www.tamtech.com/PDF/R.A.P.%20...L.%2008.02.pdf

Old 08-16-06, 01:16 AM
M
that makes sense.. as the rooms do get cooler when the doors are open.. but whats funny is the other room on the side with the masters bedroom is perfectly cool.. so that leaves me scratching my head.

Old 09-14-06, 02:13 AM
O
Originally Posted by miztahsparklez
whats funny is that the blower doesnt sit maybe one wall away from the rooms. right in the center of the house. in fact the room the blower is probably closest to is the room that gets the least cooling.
This might be the answer to the mystery:

If a vent is within 3 or 4 feet of a 90 degree turn and on the inside of the turn, the vent is located in the wrong place. Sometimes in that location the supply duct will acturally draw air OUT of the room.

Think of a river, the flow of current and the deep water is always on the outside of the bends. Air is a fluid that behaves much like water. Not much happens on the inside of the bends.

Old 09-14-06, 03:18 AM
M
actually that makes alot of sense. ill have to double check that. cause then the air would travel on the outer edge of the duct instead of down where it should be going. and a vacuum could occur if the air is pushing out fast enough past the vent, so basically it just sucks everything with it.

Old 09-14-06, 07:42 PM
O
you got it.

Let me know what you find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: