Help with airflow in bedroom

Old 08-04-06, 06:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with airflow in bedroom

Hi there, I am trying to cool down my computer room. At night the computer drives the room up to 100 degrees.
Unfortunatly I have to have the door closed. I have a 20 inch window fan in the window however I still cant get the room cool. I need to figure out either some kind of air exchange system that I can build with 2 smaller fans I have.
Or to be able to get the cool air thats drawn in to the other side of the room. Seems that the air is just running in a circle at the window. With the fan going it drops the temp down to 89 degrees.
I hope I explained this well enough. Any Ideas Please help thanks.

Mike

Old 08-04-06, 06:51 PM
M
I have the fan exhausting air, I just tried a 4 inch dryer hose at the window to see if the fan would exhange the air, but it doesnt seem to be moving that much air.

Old 08-04-06, 06:56 PM
Muley, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You are trying to cool a room with warm/hot air. What you need is a change of air to do what you need. Since you have to keep the door closed (I won't ask about that) you need a source of fresh air entering the room. Possibly a vent opening in the door or above it in the wall. You can purchase register style vent openings that can be installed in either place. Then turn the fan so it is exhausting the air out. Good luck.

Old 08-04-06, 07:05 PM
M
The window in the bedroom is 26x33 and I was using a 20 inch box fan inthe window with some cardboard around it to make a vaccum effect. I have to keep the door close as the light and noise from the room keep someone awake and there room is directly across from me. I have to figure out a way of using the window to draw air in as well as out, without just getting the circle effect.

Old 08-04-06, 07:13 PM
What you are trying, will not work. You need "cross-ventilation". Air needs to move from one side of the room to the other. This will create the vacuum effect.

Old 08-04-06, 07:54 PM
M
I know, I'm very limited in what I can do in this place. Cutting a hole in the door wouldnt be allowed, all though I have thought about it. Since I'm limited to the window, I have to get a bit creative. I thought that maybe the dryer hose streched across the room and having the fan blowing out the window it might draw air in through the hose. It idea kind of works, but not well.
I was maybe thinking of building a 2 fan system, building some kind of box that will sit in the window using 2 equal fans. One to draw air in and one to expell it, Like a heat exchanger. I think that I would have to have some kind of duct on the air comming in to run across the room which I dont mind having. Otherwise I would still have the problem of the air flowing in a circle just around the fans and not properly moving in the room.
Any Ideas on my so called theory lol???

Old 08-04-06, 07:57 PM
You could try putting a window a/c in the window.

Old 08-04-06, 08:07 PM
M
I was thinking of that too, but it doesnt take long before the air gets stale in this room. Besides we have central a/c here. However running that thing just to cool this room would send the pwer bill through the roof. lol. Hmmm 2 1/2 tonn ac to cool a 10x10 room. Hay my pop wouldnt get warm then lol.

Old 08-04-06, 08:15 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Using plywood, build a support shelf so that the 20 inch fan is at the top of the window opening. Have the lower part of the window blocked by the plywood. Be sure the shelf touches the screen outside the window to minimize short-circuiting of the airflow. Cut at least two holes in this lower plywood piece and install nothing less than two 6 inch duct takeoff adapters. Use 6 inch flexible duct from these duct takeoff adapters to the far corners (from the window) of the room.

Bigger duct takeoff adapters and flexible ducts (or more of the 6 inch ones) will be better than only two 6 inch ducts. Run the 20 inch fan to blow outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: