Sticking bathroom fan advice?

Old 08-06-06, 11:08 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sticking bathroom fan advice?

My Nautilus N688 50CFM exhaust fan is sticking when power is applied. I get a buzzing without fan movement for a few seconds and then the fan starts moving. I cannot find any oil holse, but I have applied oil (Tri-Flow) where the shaft enters non-rotating portions of the motor. This has made the fan turn more freely. I am worried that this may be a very short-term fix.

The fan and plate is newer than the fixture. I replaced this portion about 8 years ago when it failed. The fixture in in the ceiling between floors and would be a bear to replace.

Is there a better way to lubricate this fan motor?

Am I being naive trying to lubricate it?

Is there a better replacement for the fan blade/motor/holder that would work in the same fixture?

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-06-06, 12:41 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello Joe!
I have the same exact fan, and have found the best ultimate solution is to replace the motor. With that said, it's not hard to recondition the existing motor. Remove the mounting plate from the fan. Next, use an air hose and blow all the lint and gunk from the motor. Next, GENTLY and EVENLY pull the blower wheel off. Using a nutdriver, remove the through-bolts from the motor, and remove the motor from the mounting plate. Remove the two remaining nuts on the motor, and remove the rotor. Using a q-tip soaked in WD-40, clean out the bronze bushings, the spacers (small washers on shaft), and the rotor shaft itself. Next, oil the felt wicking around the bushings and the bushings themselves using SAE 20 oil. I use the plastic "Zoom-Spout" oil from the hardware store. Lastly, reassemble the motor, mount it to the plate, and carefully install the blower wheel. Reinstall & you're "Good To Go"

Old 08-06-06, 04:40 PM
J
Thanks Andy,

When you replaced the motor did you just get another Nautilis fan and use that motor or did you find something better? If something else, what did you find?

Joe

Old 08-09-06, 11:09 AM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi Joe,
I have found replacement motors at Home Depot. You might find it easier and cheaper to buy a new Broan fan & swap the guts, as Nautilus fans were made by Broan.

Old 08-09-06, 11:36 AM
J
Thanks Andy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: