New Return Vent in Bedroom

Old 08-09-06, 01:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Return Vent in Bedroom

I live in a 3-story townhouse so keeping the whole house at a good temperature is a challenge. My bedroom doesn't cool off well so I thought I'd put a return in the bedroom. Currently, there is just a return in the basement, and a return at the top of the stairs on the 3rd level. This provides adequate circulation for the second level but not for the two bedrooms upstairs. Luckily, the return vent ductwork runs right next to the wall by the entrance of the bedroom (I tend to have the door closed most of the day and even when it is open it really doesn't help that much). I'd like to install a return vent there like the one in the hallway but am having trouble finding one which takes a filter (there are only filters on the return vents themselves, not on the furnace) so I was wondering if I could run a vent and some duct work through the cieling, into the attic, and then right in front of the current return vent. Otherwise, I guess I could look harder for the filter housing return vent, and install it directly onto that wall into the current duct work.

I hope I described it clear enough. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-09-06, 07:55 PM
N
The part that bothers me is that you say when the bedroom door is open that you still don't get that much airflow. Your open door is acting as a return (and a big one at that).

Now if your upstairs return is 30 feet down the hall maybe you will gain something by having a return in the bedroom. But, if it's only 10-15 feet away I don't think adding a bedroom return will help you that much. You will have done a lot of work and still be unhappy with the results.

Looking at this from the other direction, what size ducts do you have running to the bedroom? What are they made of?

Old 08-10-06, 07:33 AM
S
I have 2 standard sheet metal ducts in the floor (6x12?). My idea was to put a return in the bedroom and then partially block off the return in the hallway (as to create more suction in the bedroom since the door is closed).

Old 08-10-06, 05:52 PM
N
Are those two 6x12 ducts insulated? How long are they and how far is the bedroom from the main ac unit?

Old 08-10-06, 07:17 PM
S
I'm not sure whether or not they're insulated because they're in the floor (I know they're insulated coming out of the unit)but they are the furthest point from the A\C unit (in the basement). I'll see what I can do closing all of the vents in the house except the one's in the bedroom and maybe one in the basement and keeping the bedroom door open. Right now (10:15pm) it's probably 80 degrees in my bedroom (the rest of the house is 72. The other thing I thought about was installing a attic fan. My attic is probably about 120 degrees during the summer so I think that getting that hot air out of there would help the bedroom temps as well, I'm just not sure how much.

Old 08-11-06, 12:22 AM
Wink

The attic can help a lot if your insulation is low. You should have a R 30 or better up there.
The attic should have 1 sq ft for every 150 sq ft of attic 1/2 in and 1/2 out of vents.
The sq ft of the attic X 0.7 == the CFM of the vent fan you need.

ED

Old 08-11-06, 05:51 AM
S
well my attic is only about 700 sq ft. so according to your formula the soffit vents should be sufficient but I can tell you that lately it's been 90-100 outside, and it's been about 120 in the attic. I think I'll have to check with the HOA to make sure I can put a attic vent fan in. If the HOA doesn't let me install a roof vent, and since my attic is small, could I install a small fan that just pours out the existing bathroom fan vents (2 holes about 5" in diameter = ~40sq. in.)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: