How to install dryer vent and brick

Old 08-13-06, 02:10 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to install dryer vent and brick

I would like to put a dryer vent but its next to a drywall w/brick behind it. How would i be able to cut around the brick or into it w/out damaging more than i have to.
Thanks Ernie...

Old 08-13-06, 02:28 PM
eapoc, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You will need to get a drill with a long (6 or 8") masonary bit. You can rent these. Lay out the hole inside the house and drill a hole in the center all the way out through the brick. Then go outside and mark the outside of thehole on the brick. Drill connecting holes all the way around your mark. Knock out the brick and the drywall from inside and install the vent cover assembly. Not an easy job, but the only way to do it. Good luck.

Old 08-13-06, 02:41 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would like to stress a couple points from majaks post.

When drilling the initial hole from the inside, be sure to drill it in the center. The brick will probably "blow out" around the hole you drill. If you drill the outer holes from inside, the blow outs may not be covered by the vent collar.

So that leads to the other point. Drill the holes outlining the vent from the outside so you do not have blow outs on the outer face of the bricks.

There is one other way that I have used but not sure as to the availablility of the tools to the DIY'er.

A high speed dry core bit. It is essentially a large hole saw but uses carbide grit for the teeth. Nothing I have ever used drills a hole faster.A hole like you are looking at would take about 30 seconds to a minute to cut. The drill motor portion is a very heavy duty drill as well.
Expensive to purchase and may not be available to the homeowner as rental.

Old 08-16-06, 09:32 AM
E
I will take a crack at it and will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the advise...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: