OK to add heat run to end of duct?

Old 08-19-06, 10:28 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK to add heat run to end of duct?

In a basement remodel, we are adding new heat runs to the existing heat duct. It's a 50-year-old, one-story with about 1100 square feet on both main floor and basement.

The heat duct is a straight shot, about 40-feet long, that runs along the middle of the basement ceiling. It ends a foot or two short of the end of the foundation.

My question is whether it's okay to add two of the new heat runs onto the end-cap (if that's the right term) of the main heat duct. All of the other heat runs in the house are attached to the top or side of the duct. Obviously, the end is easier to access for adding the new runs.

Our furnace installer told me that heat runs should not be connected to the end of the duct and that the vents on the ends of those runs will have higher air flows than the vents where the runs are attached to the top of the duct.

Last edited by gleapman; 08-19-06 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-19-06, 01:55 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
First off, are you sure that your present furnace is capable of heating this area in addition to the existing area it is heating?

Yes, you may add the additional ducts to the end of the existing main duct. Your furnace installer is concerned about the velocity of the air in the duct forcing a higher flow through the new ducts, it won't happen if the new ducts have balancing dampers installed at the point of connection to the existing main duct.

Old 08-19-06, 02:20 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furd, thanks.

I should have explained that the furnace, installed earlier this year, was already heating the basement (as did the previous furnace). In an earlier 'doitourselves' project, during our younger days, we had just cut holes directly in the duct and stuck in registers. Pretty classy.

This time around, we're putting in heat runs, but heating the same amount of space.

The balancing dampers sound like the way to go. I'll ask our furnace guy whether he thinks having the damper is comparable to attaching the runs on the top. He may just have a personal preference to avoiding the end of the duct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: