Register sizing?

Old 08-21-06, 08:11 AM
D
DRR
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Register sizing?

I'm in the process of upgrading my heating system. I'm planning on using a contractor to install a new furnace, but I would like to make the necessary ductwork changes myself to save money.

I've had several estimates, and the consensus is that the location of my current supply registers are okay, but that I should increase the duct size to 6" round. This is a radial system, with most of the ducts easily assessable in the basement, so I should be able to do this myself without much trouble.

My question is, what size should my floor registers be? Is it simply a matter of matching the cross sectional area of the register to the duct?

The majority of my current registers are 14"x2". Is there a standard size boot that would fit the 14" long openings I already have in my floors? (i.e., I don't want to build in the 14" length.)

I'm a novice at this, so I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology. I really appreciate the advice! Thanks!

Old 08-22-06, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Yes you can get a 14X2x6 90o boot. With what you have in the floor Id go with the 2"X14 " registers. With a 6" pipe to each one off the trunk line. Dont know what you havee now . But it should be a 6" pipe to each register.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: