Soffit clearance below outgoing heating ductwork

Old 08-22-06, 08:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit clearance below outgoing heating ductwork

I'm adding a couple rooms in a basement. Locally the codes allow 6'6" from floor to ceiling or soffit in an older basement. But the current main sheet metal ducting in the basement is 6'8" off the floor. It is my understanding that I need 2x4 framing (laid flat under it that would be 1.5") for the drywall. Add 1/2" for drywall and I'm down to 6'6" with no clearance below the sheet metal - which is the outgoing from the basement furnace (propane). Can I do that or do I need 1" more clearance between the framing and that sheet metal ductwork? If I can't do this would any one have any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Old 08-22-06, 08:33 PM
Wink

You dont say how wide is the duct work . I have ran dry wall next to the duct.wWth 2X2 on each side of itto screw the drywall to it Also drop ceiling the bars with it are 4 ft long?????? I learned long tiem ago The ceiling in the basement should be a drop ceiling. So you can get back into it anytime you have to.

ED

Old 08-23-06, 07:08 PM
M
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help Ed. I ended up getting hold of the local building department and they said for this situation the framing could be flush up against the metal duct work. I'm covering the ductwork and an I-beam in one soffit so it's about 44" wide. I'd consider a drop ceiling since I used to do them in construction but since we are only doing this to sell I'm probably going to go with what's cheapest as were running on a shoestring budget right now. I'm guessing sheetrock (as expensive as it's gotten) will still probably be less expensive than a drop ceiling but let me know if you think otherwise - I have no idea what the parts for a drop ceiling cost as I was only hanging them and not involved at all in the cost of the parts. Thanks again

Old 08-23-06, 07:45 PM
Wink

Check for where you are at. Home depot and Lowes Cost of drop ceiling. Drywall you have to hang it then tape it. then paint it. dont forget all that in the cost of drywall . AND the mess.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: