Dryer vents through foundation/brick wall?

Old 08-25-06, 10:27 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dryer vents through foundation/brick wall?

Currently, my garage dryer has no vent outlet, so all the hot air stays in the garage, which makes it unpleasant and rusts everything up. The garage is on a slab, with the rest of the house having a crawl space. All the exterior wallls of the house are brick, with the dryer back against a drywall/wooden wall on which the other side is the kitchen.

I was planning on putting a small slab of cement under the dryer, which would raise it up so that its outlet vent would line up with a 2x6 wood piece that goes to under the house, from under the house it would take a 90 turn and head to the brick exterior wall about 8 feet away.

The problem with this would be drilling into the brick wall or the foundation (depending on where it would line up under the house; I may not be able to get high enough for just brick). Would drilling a 4" hole through the bricks or foundation do anything to the stability of the house?

And as for just letting it vent under the house? I am reluctant to do that for mold and excess moisture reasons. I dont think all that moist hot air would be good for the wood either.

Old 08-25-06, 11:14 PM
Wink

Dont let it just vent in the crawl space. You could put the dryer up on a wood base and go down and out the side of the garage. Its only a 4" pipe just use 2X6 under it is all. You can cut the hole in the brick or block .Its ok . Just use a vent with a fliper comeing out of the wall for the dryer
For that crawl space you have go read this. Its the way we do all crawl space

http://aboutsavingheat.com/crawlspace.html

ED

Old 08-25-06, 11:34 PM
L
"Dont let it just vent in the crawl space."

Thats actually what my next door neighbor did. He has since moved out and I've never really talked to the new neighbors, so I dont know if anything bad happening under their house because of it.

"You could put the dryer up on a wood base and go down and out the side of the garage."

The walkway into the garage rules that option out.

"You can cut the hole in the brick or block .Its ok."

But what about the foundation cement? The brick only starts about 8 inches up from the ground outside, but its 6 inch thick foundation until that.

"For that crawl space you have go read this. Its the way we do all crawl space"

Everything is already insulated down there.

Old 08-26-06, 05:28 PM
Wink

If you can do it in cement why not wood????

Everything is already insulated down there.

On the outside walls and not up in the joist. Is there a 6 milpoly down all over the ground??
Did you read that www. ?

ED

Old 08-27-06, 11:27 AM
L
"If you can do it in cement why not wood????"

I'm asking about the foundation cement, not the wood.

" On the outside walls and not up in the joist. Is there a 6 milpoly down all over the ground??
Did you read that www. ?"

What does insulation have to do with my question?

Old 08-28-06, 10:13 AM
C
Can you just run some PVC up the wall rather than raising the dryer on a platform? My dryer is vented in the basement on the side of the foundation. No problems with mositure collecting.

Old 08-29-06, 05:39 AM
E
Originally Posted by lab16
Would drilling a 4" hole through the bricks or foundation do anything to the stability of the house?
Bricks are not a structural component of a house. A 4" hole will not impact the strength of the foundation.

I would try to avoid a 90 degree corner as this will impact the airflow.

Old 08-30-06, 10:01 PM
L
Originally Posted by em69
Bricks are not a structural component of a house. A 4" hole will not impact the strength of the foundation.
But I may not be able to get it to go through the bricks because it will be going outside through the crawl space. So it will probably at least have to go through some of the foundation, which is what I am worried about.

Old 08-30-06, 10:03 PM
L
Originally Posted by Cynthia Jones
Can you just run some PVC up the wall rather than raising the dryer on a platform? My dryer is vented in the basement on the side of the foundation. No problems with mositure collecting.
I would ideally like to avoid running the vent upwards, because over time, lint can become trapped inside and will be hard to clean out.

Old 08-30-06, 10:07 PM
Wink

Go rent a bit and drill to drill the 4" hole through the foundation. wont hurt it at all we do it all the time.

ED

Old 08-31-06, 05:34 AM
E
Originally Posted by lab16
So it will probably at least have to go through some of the foundation, which is what I am worried about.
A 4" inch hole through the foundation will have no negative impact on the strength.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: