extending roof for soffits

Old 09-06-06, 05:41 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
extending roof for soffits

I will need to remove at least the first three feet of shingles and replace the decking because of ice damage(there was no iceguard installed). I currently have no soffits, I would like to extend the rafters two shingle widths and install soffit. Any advice and/or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 09-07-06, 08:23 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since you will be removing the first few feet of sheathing, extending your rafters to build an overhang should be relatively easy. Your current fascia is flush (or nearly so) with your siding, and probably covers a board that closes in the ends of the rafters above the wall. You will need to remove both the fascia and that board to open the area between the rafters. You can then attach rafter extensions to the side of each rafter. If you are planning to enclose the soffit, leave the area between the rafters open and use a ventilated material, or add vents. If you are planning to leave the soffit open, then you should replace the blocking between the rafters, but with screened vents, to allow for ventilation. You want that ventilation, as it will help prevent ice dams in the future.

The size lumber for your rafter extensions can vary with the height of the rafter at the outside edge of the wall - a 2x8 rafter could be cut so that only a 4" vertical end remains - you could use 2x4 for your rafter extensions in that case (or notch 2x6 or 2x8) - since your overhang is less than a foot in this case. It should overlap the existing rafter by twice the intended overhang.

When you calculate where you want the extension to end, be sure to allow for your rafter end framing, fascia, drip edge, and shingle extension over the drip edge - since you are trying to align the new shingles with the old rows.

When you calculate the length of the extension, be mindful of the height of your windows/doors - you don't want to cause yourself a problem making the soffit lower than the top of a window.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: