Attic Ventillation - Illinois

Old 09-08-06, 11:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Attic Ventillation - Illinois

We have 3 roof vents and a ridge vent. A contractor suggests adding 2 more mushroom vents and a powered roof vent. Is this a good idea?

Also, we have an whole house fan that is not effective in cooling the house. The contractor says the powered roof vent is essential for the whole house vent to work. Is he correct?
Should the powered roof vent be located close to or directly above the location of the whole house fan?

One last question: Another contractor said not to locate mushroom vents near a powered roof vent because the powered roof vent will just vent outside air pulled from the mushroom vents. Is this correct?

Old 09-08-06, 11:24 AM
Wink

just what do you want to vent here. The home oe the attic. If just the attic you need 1sq ft for every 150sq ft of attic. 1/2 in and 1/2 out. For a vent fan just for the attic sq ft of the attic X
0.7 is the Cfm of the fan. You want vents in the over hang.
Also, we have an whole house fan that is not effective in cooling the house. Is this all you use or do you have a AC also. If just the fan then Id say its not the right Cfm. If you have AC also I would not run a house fan now and then .It dont pay.

ED

Old 09-10-06, 09:44 AM
J
Clarifications

I want to (1) ventillate the attic and (2) cool the house.

The mushroom vents and power attic vent fan are to ventillate the attic.

The whole house fan is to cool the house. I do have air conditioning; however my intention when installing the whole house fan was to first try to cool the house using that fan, and then use A/C when the temperature outside became to high. What I found was that the whole house fan did not move any air throughout the house. People told me this was because I did not have sufficient ventillation in the attic i.e. the whole house fan pushed air up into the attic, but that air could not be exhausted and therefore there was not air movement in the lower parts of the house.

I am being told that by adding the power roof vent fan, the whole house fan will work better.

Old 09-10-06, 11:37 AM
Wink

Yes that will help some. Or you can just build a large vent type cupola up there in the middle of the ridge.
But to go from the fan to the AC is just like a no no. Like if you close the home and turn the AC on it takes that poor AC 5 to 6 day just to start to get the humidity out of the home. So you dont try and push it down to 70 and say its not cool.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: