Clicking noise from...

Old 09-10-06, 07:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise from...

Hi there,

I just moved into my house and it has a forced air furnace and an electrostatic air filter. I removed the cells and the filters and cleaned them. I dried them and put them back in the unit and turned on the device. It constantly clicks at a rate of 2 clicks per second and I am not sure what to do. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-06, 11:02 PM
Wink

You sure its not just the clean cells and they are working?? lots of time to just test the cleaner when it on hit the cold air drop some and seeif it dont make the same click. Dont forget you have to clean the cells about every 2 weeks. So it works.

ED

Old 09-12-06, 02:14 PM
M
Not sure that I understand...

Hi, thanks for the response... I am not sure I understand what you are suggestion I should do. Are you asking if the cells are cleaned?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-06, 05:26 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When an electrostatic air cleaner is working, it will make a tick or snap sound.

What Ed was suggesting was to try to knock a bit of dust from the cold air return down intentioanlly so it will enter the cleaner. If is snaps, and this is the sound you are regularly hearing, all is well.

Old 09-12-06, 06:42 PM
S
Exclamation

IF you have a cell type air cleaner like for instance a honeywell brand ,pull out the cells and look at the part where you see those very thin strings on the air cleaner. When you do find those metal strings just rub youre fingers through each string that should solve your problem.you must clean all of the strings on both cells in order for it to stop clicking evry 2 seconds

Old 09-13-06, 03:05 PM
M
I tried this...

stevepanagio - I tried what you said with the cells and the strings were definitely dirty and covered with black stuff. I took it off, and put the cells back in but there was no change. It clicks multiple times per second.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-06, 03:16 PM
Wink

mori0043 Im thinking its still not clean. This is why we take them out . People will not and cant keep them clean. You could get and Air bear filter and it should fit where the cells are.

ED

Old 09-13-06, 03:49 PM
M
what is an air bear filter? Can I buy one of these at any home hardware type of store?

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-06, 04:08 PM
M
Sorry... I just looked it up. Will these filters take advantage of the electrostatic component or will it be just a filter?

Thanks again.

Old 09-13-06, 04:18 PM
Wink

The old line of the EAC filters just dont cut it. People cant keep it as clean as it has to be. Yes thats a air filter only.The pleated kind up to a MERV 5 and change every 30 to 90 days works just fine.

ED

Old 09-13-06, 05:41 PM
M
OK, I will try that. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: