moving a duct in a low-ceiling basement

Old 09-15-06, 08:06 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question moving a duct in a low-ceiling basement

I have a finished basement with low (6') ceilings, which would be fine because everyone who lives here is under 6', except that there's a duct that goes right down the middle of the room (for heating, we don't use A/C).
The duct travels perpendicular to the floor joists. What are my options for moving this duct? My only idea is to put it up between joists and get it over to the wall and then drop it back down and have it follow the wall, because at least then it won't be right in the middle of the room. Alternatively, is there a way to put it through the floor joists (maybe as several parallel round pipes) with reinforcement of the joists so as no to compromise the strength of the joists?
Thanks for any suggestions and advice

Old 09-15-06, 04:06 PM
Wink

Most of the time whenyou do that you cut down on the air output real bad. Its all the angles you have to add in the pipe to go up then down again

ED

Old 09-16-06, 03:40 PM
P
Then can I put it through the joists somehow? Is there a recommended way to reinforce joists with sections cut out of them?
I found this online: http://www.gp.com/BUILD/DocumentViewer.aspx?repository=BP&elementid=3035
It's i-beams with holes throughout which I imagine you could put ducting through. Would that work?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: