cold air coming out of return

Old 09-21-06, 08:31 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cold air coming out of return

We had a new a/c installed a two years ago. We then had an evap. cooler installed a year ago. The cooler outlet ducting is connected to the a/c ducting on the roof. It seems that before the cooler was attached the a/c was cooling the first level in the house better. We had the installing company come out and they said no problems. We had a second company come out and they said no loose ducting and the evap. baffle (or whatever they call the device that isolates the evap. unit from the a/c whenever one or the other is on) is installed and working. I noticed, however, that when I turn the evap. unit on that COLD air was coming out of the main a/c air return in the upstairs hallway. Is that normal?

Old 09-21-06, 08:40 AM
Wink

Cant see it not there. But Id say that the damper that closed one duct from the other is not in right or dont close all the duct off

We then had an evap. cooler installed a year ago. The cooler outlet ducting is connected to the a/c ducting on the roof.
I noticed, however, that when I turn the evap. unit on that COLD air was coming out of the main a/c air return in the upstairs hallway.
Id say its up to them and what they did. How the duct work was put in.

ED

Old 09-21-06, 09:19 AM
N
Thumbs up

Thanks Ed. You confirmed my suspicion that all is not right in Mayberry.

Old 09-21-06, 09:25 AM
Wink

Just what or how does the duct change from the AC to the swamp? You have to have something that opens just one duct and close the other. Thats what to look at.

ED

Old 09-21-06, 10:45 AM
N
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Just what or how does the duct change from the AC to the swamp? You have to have something that opens just one duct and close the other. Thats what to look at.

ED
That sounds like the damper what you're describing. I'm going to haul my bones up on the roof, remove the access panel to the damper and check it out.

Old 09-24-06, 04:29 PM
N
Thanks Bob. I called the fellow who installed it and he said that it's normal just like you say. But he didn't tell me why like you just did and how to avoid problems between the two units. I appreciate your explanation.

Old 09-24-06, 09:14 PM
Wink

If the damper and duct tie in is done right. The air from the evap cooler should not go back over the AC coil or forced the furnance blower too turn backwards. If it does it will just add all that humidity to the insulation that is on the inside of the furnace or AC blower coil. Then the poor AC has to take over and try and get it all back out so you feel cool.

ED

Old 09-24-06, 10:49 PM
Wink

Right ne damper is all Now if put in right it will close the cooler off .When the AC is running. Then when it swing down in the duct it will close off the duct from the AC blower and not let any air blow back into the AC set up.By the way I dont think I can count all that we have put in its just been to many over the years.

ED

Old 09-25-06, 05:12 AM
N
I forgot to mention that this is roof top mounted heat pump. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Old 09-25-06, 08:36 AM
Wink

It doesn't matter where the units are . Its back to how they where installed. If installed right you sure dont want the swamp cooler blowing back through the AC unit its blower and out the return air grill also. Even if you have too put two dampers it the system to make it work right.

ED

Old 09-25-06, 09:11 AM
N
Smile

Ok Ed. Back to the rooftop. Wow, 13,000 posts. You've been busy. Great website.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: