moving ductwork & adding basement floor returns

Old 09-28-06, 09:21 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up moving ductwork & adding basement floor returns

I have 2 things that I need help with:

First:

I have a basement room that I plan on using for a home theater. Currently, there's a large 6" diameter piece of ductwork going straight down the middle of the ceiling and underneath the floor joists. As it is, the ductwork lowers the ceiling height to 6'10" before I even add a soffit around it.

I'm thinking that I'd like to reroute it to go around the edges of the room instead of down the middle.

Can you think of any problems with my doing this? Do you have any recommendations or gotchas? Is this something that I should be capable of doing myself? (for an amature, I'm very good with carpentry and metal working.)

Second:

My basement is very open and appears to have no cold air return within the basement. I plan on adding a cold air return to the new bathroom and the theater that I'm putting in. Can I place the cold air return vents on the floor themselves? Should I build the returns into the 8-12" stage?

My goal here is to keep the new returns from needing yet another large soffit on the ceiling.

Let me know if my creating a Visio HVAC diagram would help you give me detailed advice and I can go about creating one.

Thanks,
WH

Old 09-28-06, 09:29 AM
So far everything looks doable according to your plans except for one thing.

You never ever put a return in a bathroom.

Old 09-28-06, 09:46 AM
Wink

Matt's got it You dont ever put a return air in a bath room.

I'm thinking that I'd like to reroute it to go around the edges of the room instead of down the middle.
That mean you will put 4 90o L + the pipe lenth
To the other wall. you will sure cut down on the air going to that room. You could use the 3 1/4X 10 flat duct for that 6" pipe if that would help

ED

Old 09-28-06, 10:09 AM
W
Ok.. so you don't add an air return to the bathroom but you do have to add an exhaust vent to the outside, right?

As for the 90oL turn.. I agree that it will lower the amount of air going to that room but it's such an open space on the main floor (no internal doors except to the bathroom and basement for the whole main floor) that I'm not so concerned about it.

Perhaps I'll look at the 3x10 flat ductwork that you were mentioning as that would actually work much better for the overall construction/design I'm thinking of.

Thanks!

WH

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: