Forced air system vs remodel

Old 10-03-06, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forced air system vs remodel

We are doing some remodeling and the heating system is in question. We are installing a cast iron wood burning stove on the main level (open floor plan), which will easily heat the main floor and loft, and become our primary source of heat. The two bedrooms are being moved into the basement (there will also be two baths and a utility closet). We currently have a forced air gas furnace that was installed before the wood stove was, so it's one big zone and the thermostat sits on the main level.

In the basement, we will need to heat the master bedroom and master bath on a daily basis, and the guest room and guest bath on an occasional basis.

The current thought is to close all vents in the house except the ones in the master BR and bath and move the thermostat to the basement level. Is this a good idea (having 3/4 of the vents shut most of the time)? If not, does anyone have other ideas? We live in the foothills of Colorado, so we need heat 2/3 of the year.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-06, 03:06 PM
T
dont close the vents ,turn them down to the basement .then install a return air high on the top floor near the wood burning stove .then move the thermostat downstairs ,and use or install a fan switch .so when your burning wood ,the furnace only uses the fan to bring warm air from up to down and when the thermostat is satisfied it will shut down .if the fan doesnt bring down enough heat switch the thermo to heat ,and the gas will be used .I have a wood burning fire place with heat exchangers hooked up to my furn ,and I do this .I works well and saves alot of money in the winter up here in canada.hope this helps

Old 10-03-06, 03:38 PM
Wink

Id check with the gas company on that furnace. lots of times you can down size the orifice or pull one burner to down size the furnace. for just the lower level. This will still let you have it there for a back up. Move the tstat down in the basement
Like said you cant just close off most of the vents in a furnace and let it go like that.

ED

Old 10-04-06, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the great ideas! I didn't even think about the fan running on it's own to circulate the air...

If anyone else has ideas as well, keep them coming!

Old 10-17-06, 10:21 AM
We had an HVAC guy come by to give us an opinion on our heating options. His suggestion was to leave the thermostat where it is (since it's in the stairwell leading downstairs) and just turn on the fan. (Basically what you guys said!)

So I did an experiment last week and fired up the wood stove in it's original location (basement/den) and then turned on the fan. After about 20 minutes the hubby started complaining it was quite warm in the upstairs areas (not knowing I had turned on the fan). The only slightly cooler location was the loft (3rd floor/open to great room) which has no cold air return. We are hoping that the fan-only option will work and the stove relocation to the great room will keep the loft a bit warmer.

I will report back once we have the stove moved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: