Replacing / Moving ductwork

Old 10-05-06, 09:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing / Moving ductwork

We have very wide ducting on the ceiling of our kitchen which runs as a square around the inside portion of the cabinets rather than along the walls above the cabinets. We would like to minimally reduce the duct size in this area to fit above the cabinets snug against the walls so that we have an open ceiling above. Was this just poorly planned originally, or is there a reason we should not change this ducting? It will open up our kitchen above much more if we move it.

Old 10-05-06, 10:10 AM
Reducing the duct size will increase wind noise in the ductwork. This could be minimized by insulating the ductwork (don't know if you'd want to do this inside an over-stove duct system) but depending on the installation it could be loud...

Old 10-05-06, 02:22 PM
M
Smile Re-locating ducting

Thank you for your reply. The existing ducting is insulated, so the intention is to keep the same type. There is a hood over the stove separate from this ductwork. It sounds like we should be able to do this and have little noise based on your comments.

Old 10-05-06, 10:58 PM
Wink

which runs as a square around the inside portion of the cabinets rather than along the walls above the cabinets.
The existing ducting is insulated, so the intention is to keep the same type. There is a hood over the stove separate from this ductwork.
At a lost to just what you have and want to do.
Is this duct in the cabinets now?? Why is it insulated now??

ED

Old 10-06-06, 01:34 PM
M
Ductwork

Sorry to have confused....
The current ductwork is covered with insulation and sealed at walls and corners by the silver reflective tape. I assume it will need to be completely removed if we want smaller ducting to fit above the cabinets. I was just concerned about the smaller size and moving this. The cabinets have space above them (since they do not go all the way to the ceiling) to tuck new ducts into. Shape is something like this currently with the cabinets marked by X's:
||
X|||||
X|| ||X
X|| ||X
X|||||X
XXXXXX

Old 10-06-06, 01:48 PM
Wink

still lost why does the duct have insulation on it there???? Or what size register????
The cab are 12" and the drop from the ceiling if st. should be 13 ". So you can put a 12" X10" up there what does it go to ?????

ED

Old 10-06-06, 06:10 PM
S
Red face relocate

i cant exactly picture your situation, but i do this for a living and i will say to reduce the size of your ductwork can cause many problems. there are many factors to consider. although you can change sizes.. ie. 6x30 would carry the same air as 13x13. so maybe there are options that could work...

Old 10-09-06, 12:38 PM
M
Ductwork cont...

Thanks again for all the feedback. Now with some dimensions proposed as best suited, I think we can get this resolved. I will be sure not to go too small - in fact we may be able to just change the positioning of the same sized ducts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: