furnace exhaust duct

Old 10-08-06, 11:03 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace exhaust duct

hello, i have an oil burning forced-air furnace. i haven't turned it on quite yet, but am expecting to need to soon. I noticed some flaws in the ducting for the exhaust from the furnace to the chimney.

basically, it looks like a joints where 2 pieces of pipe connect are loose (elbow to straight piece), and there are some screw holes present without any screws.

should this be replaced, or can I simply apply duct tape or mastic (i think that's what it is called, caulk for heat duct) around the areas of concern? i'm worried about the fumes of the exhaust getting into the basement. my oil company will be coming to clean the furnace sometime this month, but I think I'll need to fire it up before then, and want to make sure it is safe for my family.

thanks in advance!

Old 10-08-06, 05:37 PM
A couple small screw holes will not hurt. But if you have sheet metal screw, put them in so that way the pipes can't come undone.

If the pipe is rustly, then I'd suggest replacing the pipe..

DO NOT use Tape on this or mastic! They are not rated for high temp.. it'll burn.

Old 10-08-06, 08:11 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I Agree!!!!!

Old 10-08-06, 10:34 PM
Wink

You dont say just how old this smoke pipe is for the furnace to the flue. Id say you would be better off to replace the whole pipe and elbows. Put screws in the new pipe No tape of any kind. Cut the barometic damper in it at about the same spot.
You also want a tech to clean and service that oil burner Before you turn it on. New nozzle new oil filter. Clean and set the electrode assembly
Check temp and combustion Co2 set the barometic damper. You will be $$$$ ahead on the fuel you will save

Old 10-14-06, 06:26 AM
H
i'm not sure how old the ducting is. the furnace is from the late 80s, i believe, but i'm not sure if the ducting is original.

after closer inspection, the collar that comes out to the furnace unit that an elbow connects to is the problem. it is rusted and cracked, and definitely looks like it should be replaced.

since it is connected to the furnace directly, i think i'm going to get some professional help. hopefully the oil service company can take care of it when they come to service the furnace.

thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: