Register layout (I'm cold in the corners!)

Old 10-09-06, 08:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Register layout (I'm cold in the corners!)

Is it better to have your heating vents around the perimeter of the house with the cold air returns centrally, or does it matter that much? I ask because in one house, the heat is in the center of the house, and the cold air returns are around the perimeter. If I turn up the temperature, it gets too hot in the center of the house, but still cold in some corners.

I'm wondering if I painstakingly swap the cold air returns and the heating vents (they are all 6" metal duct), I'd have warmer perimeter.

Or, should I run new ducts to specific areas that are cold?

I have a 3.5ton unit, and only a 1400sq/ft home, and it just doesn't seem to move enough air around.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-06, 06:19 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Put your fan to on on see if that helps First.

Old 10-09-06, 07:14 PM
Hmmm. Well, I put the control to the on position, but the fan never actually kicks on. I think it isn't wired correctly to the furnace.

Old 10-09-06, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Sounds like to much AC 3.5 ton in 1400 sq ft up in Idaho. How big is the furnace? Can be they dont run long .Just go on and off all the time.
If the AC ran ok with the fan it should run from the fan on at the tstat.
Years back we did put the cold air intake on the outside walls. The heat registers on the inside walls. Now we put the heat on the outside walls and the cold air return on the inside walls.

Swap the cold air returns and the heating vents (they are all 6" metal duct), I'd have warmer perimeter.
Dont know if you have enough runs to the outside walls around the home for the heat. Think you would need more outlets . The heat registers you have now could work for the return it sounds like .

ED

Old 10-09-06, 10:31 PM
I don't have an AC unit. I thought the furnace size was 3.5Ton, but further investigation shows it is 4Ton 80k BTU.

The unit does seem to turn on and off a lot. Do you think adjusting the fan speed on the furnace will help?

Also, the fan doesn't come on. I think it is because the G terminals are not connected between the furnace and the thermostat. I don't know for sure if this is the case, but it seems like that would be the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: