Adding heat to second story bungalow

Old 10-14-06, 05:30 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all!
I've got a 1947, 2-story bungalow which has never had heat in the second story before. We recently remodeled our kitchen and had the opportunity to run a heat duct to the second story behind the walls in the kitchen. We've got the hard ductwork going from the basement to the knee-wall storage space in the second level, but don't have it connected to the basement ductwork, or to any vents in the walls upstairs.

I've read about not making 90 degree angles, so I'm not sure how to tie in the ductwork in the basement. The new ductwork would have to tie in at the underside of the existing heat run as the existing run is tucked inside a floor joist. How do I help the heat flow naturally into the new ductwork?

I've read about using an in-duct fan to help force the heat up to the second story. Any opinions on this?

At the second story connection, coming off the hard pipe, is it ok to use flexible ductwork to connect to the vents in the room?

One last thing - (and probably a deal breaker) I'm not sure about cold air returns at this point. Are they necessary even if we've got them in the rest of the house?

Thanks so much for any advice!
Katie

Old 10-14-06, 06:16 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Forget that duct and add a second unit for upstairs.

Old 10-14-06, 06:48 AM
S

A second unit would be nice, but it's only a 30x10 hip-roof space upstairs that's just our bedroom. We've been using a space heater since we bought the place, but wanted something more permanent and safe. Thanks for the idea though!

Old 10-14-06, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You have to put this new duct into the main supply down in the basement. You just cant tie it into a register supply run down there.
AS you are only talking heat here. Heat goes up so you can get by with out a cold air return. Any of the fans they sell to put in duct work . I have not found one that will work. They just dont work at all.
At the second story connection, coming off the hard pipe, is it ok to use flexible ductwork to connect to the vents in the room?
Yes

ED

Old 10-14-06, 09:09 AM
S
thanks Ed for your information.
By main supply, do you mean one of the big square box ducts that are coming off the furnace? This is one of the big "trunk-lines" that supply heat to several rooms of the house (kitchen, dining room, living room).
I'm relieved to hear about not needing a cold-air return.

Old 10-14-06, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Yes tap into a main supply not one that goes to one room. Also put a damper in it so you can take more air for up or less air for up.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: