EAC's vs Media Filters vs Tox Box

Old 10-23-06, 09:59 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EAC's vs Media Filters vs Tox Box

I have an old Honeywell (F50) Electronic Air Cleaner with two cells (@20 years old). Even though its been regularly cleaned, I'm assuming its shot and not doing the job it used to.

Is it worth investing in new cells and prefilters for this unit (probably $400 bucks) or should I simply replace it with a 5" thick media filter that's disposable or one of the newer 1" thick electrically charged air filters with replace-able filter media (like the Tox Box) ?

Any views would be appreciated !

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 10-23-06, 12:03 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Aprilaire or air bear would be the way to go with media filter. Stay away from electrostatic filter.

Old 10-23-06, 01:32 PM
Wink

I find that no matter how people tell you how hard they work to keep their EAC filter clean B##L. You will get a build up of dirt in the unit. For sure go for the AIR Bear.

ED

Old 10-23-06, 05:28 PM
I've replaced the cells with Media filter a few times..

Just lay the two cells together and measure.

20 by 25

16 by 25

Or

20 by 20

You can find these Honeywell Meida filter at Home Depot. Just undo the power going ot the unit, and remove the pre filter.

Old 10-30-06, 12:25 PM
G
Once again, I have to chime in to disagree with the others on this topic. Although I do concede that they are the professionals, I use an EAC and am very happy with it. The media filters are not efficient enough to remove alergens, so if you use them, you are simply recycling the bothersome, but invisible dust while removing the visible dust. If you don't have alergies, that might be o.k., but I do have alergies and that is why I like my EAC.

Why do you assume yours is shot? One way to find out would be to get one of the new Honeywell post filters, put it in and see how much dust it collects (it mounts downstream of the cells). If there is alot of dust in the post-filter, your cells may be kaput, but maybe it will be fairly clean and you can be satisfied that your cells are fine. The post filter should be available from any Honeywell dealer. You could also just check the fan blades and see if there is a lot of dust on them.

Old 10-30-06, 05:27 PM
Guest,

EAC are good, IF the home owners stays on top of it every month. I've seen so many EAC not kept clean on a monthly cleaning, that they don't do anything. If you stay on top of it, then yeah, they do work.

Old 10-30-06, 07:36 PM
S
Jay11J is right most people don't clean them and they don't run the blower all the the time to get the full benefits of the EAC. For my money, go with the Air Bear filter.

Old 09-29-08, 08:35 AM
R
Electrostatic Air Filter

I switched to an electrostatic filter and am very happy. The description on the Tox Box may be misleading. These filters are made out of a media that is inherent to creating a static electrical charge as air flows over them. They are not electronic. You want to be sure that the filter is made out of a media that you can actually get clean. If it is a pad or a sponge on the inside you will have a lot of trouble getting the dirt out.

I got mine from a company called All American Air Filters. I am pleased with its performance and it was an affordable alternative to the electronic filter.

Old 09-29-08, 08:16 PM
M
Clean air

You need to decide what your trying to accomplish is your issue particulates (dust, pet dander, etc.) or are you concerned with VOC's or airborne pathogens. If it is just particulates that concern you a media filter in properly sealed duct system is the way to go. If it is other contaminants there are ways to deal with each and the technology has improve so much in the last 20 years that you will want to upgrade.
The properly sealed system is the most important thing, more energy is wasted in this country and more dirty houses are caused by duct system leaks and if you increase resistance by adding a more restrictive filter you are just making a bad problem worse.

Old 10-02-08, 06:34 PM
T
Definitely go with the right angle Air Bear. You get a high efficiency filter in a housing thats ready for UV lights. I sell these as standard equipment with every furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: