110V run in cold air return?

Old 01-17-07, 06:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
110V run in cold air return?

Hi.
I'd like to add a cold-air return to my forced air furnace (as part of a larger, on-going effort) to increase the warmth of my house. The floor joist bay that I'd like to use has some electrical running in it.
Can I simply convert the joist bay to a cold-air return, or does NEC dis-allow electric in an air return? I'd agree that for service-ability it would be nice to have the electric running outside the return, but I wondered how much work to expect on this effort.

thanks for any reply.
mike.

Old 01-17-07, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say check code for where you are. I know here that yes we can box electric wires in a cold air return in a joist We can not close a joist for a cold air return if it has a gas line in it. Also some say ok for just drywall some say has to be metal to close the joist. That is why I say just ask code first.

Old 01-17-07, 07:25 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks,
I'll do that.
mike.

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Id say check code for where you are. I know here that yes we can box electric wires in a cold air return in a joist We can not close a joist for a cold air return if it has a gas line in it. Also some say ok for just drywall some say has to be metal to close the joist. That is why I say just ask code first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: