Forced Air vs Baseboard

Old 01-21-07, 09:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forced Air vs Baseboard

I have forced hot air in my house. I honestly feel that I dont have enough vents to keep my house warm and I feel the vents dont blow air out hard enough. My second floor is extremely cold and has no cold returns up there. I dont know what to do? Everyone I speak to says forced hot air is better, but the way I look at it is that baseboard heating covers more area when heating a room.

What can I do to improve the heating of my house? The thermostat is on the first floor. I have about 1 vent in each room. I would like to add more vents but I dont want to knock walls down to do this. Do people have systems that are half forced air and half baseboard heating? I have so many questions but no solutions. Please help...Thanks!!!

Old 01-21-07, 09:44 PM
Wink

What do you have for heat there . Gas ,oil ,electric???
Just where is the unit and the duct work? Do you havw AC on it also?? Is the blower on high speed now for heat??

Old 01-22-07, 06:38 AM
M
I have oil heating. The unit is in my basement. The flexible ducts are scattered all around my partial/crawl space basement. The main duct is hanging above my crawl space area. My unit is a heating/AC unit in one. I dont know what speed the blower is.

I probably need to insulate the main duct. All the flexible ducts already have insulation in them.

Old 01-22-07, 07:07 AM
Wink

With the other post you have here on cold floors. Get that crawl space sealed up and the insulation on the walls.Not on the duct work. They use the flex cause it cost less to use than metal. It dont let as much CFM throught it as the metal pipe does. Also cut a small register in the duct for heat down there and one for in the basement. With one also in the cold air return.
Have you did a heat loss on the home .What size is the furnace and the AC? Is the AC coil clean? the filter clean and new every 30 to 90 days? Is that blower on high speed ?????? When was the last time that the oil burner was cleaned and serviced? Nozzle, oil filter, check pump PSI. Set and check the burner? We do need info info to try and help you.
AS your post is all on the same thing to heat the home. Stay in just one post so we will all see it as one and not two posts. It will help us to try and help you

Old 01-22-07, 08:48 AM
M
We bought our house about 4 months ago. It's oil based. I paid a maintenance to have it all cleaned and serviced to make sure it is in proper working condition a few months ago. I just recently changed the fiter last month. I'll have to check the speed of the blower. I dont know the specifications on the furnace, but I do know they just installed it last January. I dont have anything in my crawl space so wont I be just wasting energy by blowing hot air in my crawl space area.

Sorry about the multiple posts!!!

Old 01-22-07, 09:02 AM
Wink

On test homes they came out that they saved about 12% to 15% on fuel. When they insulated the crawlspace and let some heat out there . It works as a heat sink.

Find out if you are on high speed on the blower. You sure the coil is clean??? Do you get good air at all the registers???Are just some ????

I paid a maintenance to have it all cleaned and serviced to make sure it is in proper working condition a few months ago. Did they check the pump PSI CO2 in the stack? Draft over the fire. Set the barmetic damper. Check for smoke?

In a year now . Was it all new duct work furnace and new AC????

Old 01-22-07, 09:38 AM
M
What do you mean by "good air"? If you are referring to air blowing out at a high rate, there are some vents that have better air flow than others.

The unit was all new flexible duct work and AC in the basement only. They connected the flexible ducts in the basement/crawl space area to existing pipes in the walls. It seems the only new lines were the 2 floor registers I mentioned were in the living room area on the 1st floor.

Old 01-22-07, 09:42 AM
Wink

You said this set up is just a year old . Call that company back and tell them it dont heat the home as you like .

Old 01-22-07, 10:03 AM
M
That company is coming out this week to take a look, but in regards to fixing it for free they cannot do anything for me since I am not the homeowner who purchased it from them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: