Should I move return ducts in exterior walls?

Old 01-22-07, 06:23 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should I move return ducts in exterior walls?

My house is a 1955, two story + basement, with four bedrooms and two baths upstairs. There are six supply ducts to the upstairs (one to each room) and four return air ducts, one to each bedroom. They are in the stud cavities of the exterior walls, and from all the leaks in this drafty house (which I've been dealing with) I assume that they suck in quite a bit of outside air through gaps in the sheathing, siding, and cantilevered second floor band joist.

Question 1: Would it make sense to seal off these return air ducts and put one central return in a wall facing the landing at the top of the stairs? There are no walls that align upstairs and down to pass a duct through. I would have to create a boxed-in shaft that would be added to part of a wall that is a passageway between the dining room and the kitchen. It wouldn't be ideal but it would help to visually separate the living room from the dining room.

Question 2: The supply ducts in two of the rooms are near the doors that open to the landing -- would these rooms heat adequately?

Question 3: How should I calculate the size of the new central return air duct and register?

If you want a laugh, read on: three out of four of the current return air ducts were completely blocked with blown-in insulation when we bought the place! I cleaned them out, but now I'm regretting it...

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-07, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If I have it right from what you said the cold air upstairs isat the outside walls and the outlets are at the inside walls. So if you close the cold air returns and put the new one by the top of the stairs you will pull the hot air right from the outlets and back to the cold air return. That way the hot air will not cross the room . But just go out and to that cold air return Id say dont do it.

? #1 NO

? #2 NO

? #3 For a two stoty home. Id make it so I get all the cold air from the upstairs in the summe rand all the cold air from the downstairs in the winter. If I dont have two units

If you cant get the heat runs to br on the outside walls up there so the hot air will come across the room. Dont do it

Old 01-24-07, 05:57 AM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Ed. You've confirmed my suspicions. And it will save me a lot of work to not move the ducts. There is no way I'm going to move the return AND supply ducts! I'll just have to go back to thinking of my return air ducts as a source of fresh air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: