Relocating dryer vent

Old 01-24-07, 02:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating dryer vent

(Parent's house)

The dryer is in the laundry room. The dryer vent goes out to the garage. Parents don't want it going out to the garage anymore b/c it makes their cars dirty or linty or dusty (whatever comes out of the vent).

Is there a way to have the dryer vent go outside....maybe all the way out to the side of the house through the garage?

Old 01-24-07, 03:00 PM
Wink

.Take the flipper off. Then just pipe it to the outside of the garage . Put the flipper on it there.

Or you can put a old panty nose on the pipe outlet. That will cut down on the dust amd lint.

Old 01-24-07, 03:10 PM
D
That's it? Thanks! Hmmm....what's a flipper? The nearest exit is about 5 ft. away. So...just buy a longer duct that will reach outside? Cut a hole going out to the garage wall or something?

Old 01-24-07, 04:11 PM
M
It's really pretty simple. The "flipper" referred to is probably the outlet flapper than opens when the dryer is running and closes when it's off to keep wind and critters out.

Dryer vent pipe is readily available at most hardware stores. It's made of aluminum and generally comes in 2-foot sections. The outlet (flapper) is also readily available. Just cut a 4" round hole in the wall, attach the outlet, and run new duct to it. Use aluminum tape to connect the sections, not screws.

Old 01-24-07, 04:26 PM
D
Hmm. Does sound too easy. Thanks so much for the info!

I've gotta show you guys what was created by a "pro" on their current dryer vent that goes out to the garage. I was wondering if this was normal. Will post a pic tomorrow b/c I've never seen this before nor do I know what to call it.

Old 01-24-07, 07:18 PM
D
All right...here's the "thing" that was made:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/victoriamwong/IMG_0127.jpg

Here's the front of it (don't mind the bucket thing and stool on top of it)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/victoriamwong/IMG_0126.jpg

There's kind of a dilemma now though. Just realized there's not a very good spot to have it go out of the wall. If anything...it would be going out the door, but I highly doubt that would be convenient.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/victoriamwong/IMG_0128.jpg

See where that ladder is? To the right of it is that "thing". So I was thinking the pipe could go along that wall on the ground but there's no where for it to go out.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Old 01-24-07, 07:46 PM
T
Photos show low water level in bucket.

http://db.inman.com/inman/content/subscribers/inman/column.cfm?StoryId=031201BS&columnistid=Stone

Old 01-25-07, 09:32 AM
D
Nice reference twelvepole

Guess it also means..."But it should be clearly understood that dryer vent buckets are not legally approved for this use: They specifically violate requirements set forth in the Uniform Mechanical Code."

...gotta take the dryer vent bucket out? After reading that...it sounds like it's not legal, not safe, not good...etc. to have the dryer vent bucket in the first place. Am I reading that correct?

After further conversation with my mom, she stated a professional appliance guy came to re-route the pipe/vent to go out to the garage. The problem was the pipe/vent was going up (higher than the dryer itself) and out to the side of the house (going through a different wall that does not lead to the garage). This caused the dryer to not work well or properly b/c it needed to be going out straight and not up. In any case, he re-routed it to go straight out (instead of high above) but had to have it go out to the garage. I'm thinking he couldn't make it go straight out (below) on the same wall b/c there must be pipes or electric wires in the way.

Now what?

Old 01-25-07, 05:26 PM
Wink

The problem was the pipe/vent was going up (higher than the dryer itself) and out to the side of the house (going through a different wall that does not lead to the garage). This caused the dryer to not work well or properly b/c it needed to be going out straight and not up.

I have had 2 homes where the dryer vent pipe went right on up and out the roof. It worked just fine.
Hey my old panty hose on the vent pipe would work better than that bucket

Old 01-25-07, 06:13 PM
T
Our local Home Ec. classroom has dryer vented into bucket! Another example showing designers and builders do not take dryer venting serious enough.

Ed, can you clarify why your pantyhose would be more effective than the bucket?

Old 01-25-07, 07:55 PM
D
Wait...b/c you guys know I'm kinda "ditzy"...the straight answer is...the bucket is "bad".

Right?

Pantyhose?

Old 01-25-07, 09:39 PM
Wink

Some years back they came out with a filter like unit. That you put on your dryer vent pipe. This would let the hot air out into the home and help raise the RH in to home. They would jam up fast with lint. I dont know how it got started. But one of the guys said he took the filter set up of his dryer and tied pantyhose on it and it worked good with the panty hose on the dryer. They let the hot air and humidity out in the home and kept all the lint in. I know a lot of homes here did that all that winter.
DIYaddict Run the pipe outside . It can go up and out the roof

Old 01-25-07, 09:40 PM
T
But too much humidity inside the home can be a bad thing. I can understand that the pantyhose would catch the lint.

Old 01-26-07, 09:33 AM
D
Thanks Ed No bucket...run it outside, up is ok.

Nice pantyhose story We learn something new everyday...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: