Cold Air Return Advice

Old 01-25-07, 09:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Return Advice

I have a colonial-split level house (5BR, 2FB, LR, DR, Kitchen and Den) where I have one 4" vent in every room in my home. I know that vent is not big enough to blow enough warm air in my house, but I dont think that's my problem. I have only one cold air return in the entire house which is on the 1st floor underneath the stairs. I have no cold air returns on the 2nd floor (3 bedrooms) and in the 1st floor split-level area. As a result, I am currently having a hard time heating my home.

I had an HVAC company recommend to put a cold air return in the hallway of the split area and on the wall looking down from the 2nd floor stairs. He also said that not having any returns on the second floor will make my 2nd floor really hot during the summer.

Do you think the recommendation from the HVAC company is correct? Would one cold air return be enough to suck out all the cold air in my home during the winter? I dont want to spend the money if the returns wont fix my problem.

Old 01-25-07, 07:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, they help. How much depends on too many things. Keep in mind they take up space. Think about what wall space you have. You might have to frame a new box all the way up the wall to accommodate the return.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: