Adding Zones To an HVAC System

Old 02-04-07, 09:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Zones To an HVAC System

I live in a 2 year old home in the Northeast. The house is 3100 sf with a single thermostat controlling the HVAC system. Although I have gotten a better handle on controlling the temperature in the house, we still feel distinct variations (1st floor vs 2nd).

I have seen climate control systems that add multiple zones to the existing
system. The idea being that efficiency can be significantly improved by only heating or cooling when necessary (ie. when occupants are present) and by only heating/cooling to the exact desired temperature.

Has anyone ever installed one of these? Do they perform as claimed or should I be looking for another solution?

Thanks.

Old 02-04-07, 11:52 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Unless carefully engineered and installed, zoning of residential forced air systems usually create more problems than it solves. You probably could benefit from a careful BALANCING of your system along with running the blower on low speed continuously. Thermostat relocation or multiple temperature sensors averaging through the thermostat might also be of help.

Old 02-04-07, 12:16 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
2 story = 2 units!

Old 02-04-07, 12:20 PM
Wink

Like said forget zone control in a home. To run the blower 24/7 helps. Also if you have a return up and down. close off some of the up return when on heat. then close off some down when on AC. A up and down return will help a lot here. On any 2story homes we put in 2 system one for up and one for down. If you want them to work good.

Old 02-06-07, 11:50 AM
T
Seems as though everyone agrees that this isn't the way to go. The real problem lies with the Master Bedroom. It doesn't warm up like the rest of the house. I had thought about a booster fan to push more air but I haven't seen positive postings for those either!

Some questions based on earlier responses:
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
[Like said forget zone control in a home. To run the blower 24/7 helps.]
Dosn't this put alot of stress on the unit? What increase in cost can I expect?

[Also if you have a return up and down. close off some of the up return when on heat. then close off some down when on AC. A up and down return will help a lot here.]
Can you explain this a bit more. Since I don't quite understand, I'm not sure if I have this.

[On any 2story homes we put in 2 system one for up and one for down. If you want them to work good].
What can I expect adding another unit to cost? Is this even an option? As I said, right now I have a 3100sf home with a 5 ton unit.

Thanks for bearing with the questions. I'm HVAC impaired!

Old 02-06-07, 01:26 PM
Wink

I dont know the home You could get by say like a 2.5 ton up and a 2 ton down . It would work much better for heat and cool. Also cost less in fuel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: