New Dryer Duct Condensation

Old 03-12-07, 10:25 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Dryer Duct Condensation

We had our old dryer duct in our crawlspace replaced because it was from 1968 and we were having our heater ducts replaced anyway. NEW BIG PROBLEM: The dryer duct is soild not flexible, it is only 10 feet with only 1 bend, it vents to the outside. For the FIRST time ever, we have condensation on the cement (a 2'x2' area of the cement is very wet) outside where the dryer vents and steam clouds and when I went under the crawlspace while the dryer is on, the floor boards have condensation in a 5'x10' area-this is bad! The duct is sealed with metal tape. The duct does not have insulation around it (our old one never did). If we insulate it, won't the insulation just get wet eventually and mold? The only other clue I can offer is that there is a vent all along the wall that the dryer vents to (it is the very old 1968 way of venting a home, where the entire wall has a small overhang over the foundation and the overhang is screened to vent the crawl. Why would a new dryer vent cause this problem and old one never did? What to do? Please help and thank you.

Old 03-12-07, 10:35 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Old duct stopped up!

Old 03-12-07, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say where you are. We dont vent the crawl space at all. Do you have a 6 mil poly down on the ground there or you said cement.
Might go to http://aboutsavingheat.com/crawlsace.html

Old 03-12-07, 11:38 AM
A

I am in Northern California, Pinole (warm spring/summer 70-90, mild winters 35-50). All the houses in the entire town are built with vented crawls most houses have no a/c as there are only a couple uncomfortable days a year. No poly at all in our crawl, dirt, only a 2' height to crawl. I had an inspector just 6 months ago tell me that the venting is adequate and the floor boards and sills/joists looked great for a 1968 home, we had standing water in a different area that was corrected and now bone dry. Rest of crawl bone dry except small areas slightly wet near walls that dry out each summer. All gutters directed to street-just done recently). I am worried about mold starting on the floor boards in that area where the dryer is condensating on them. Should I insulate the dryer duct? wouldn't the insulation just get soaked? The pipe itself does not condensation around it, the condensation is on the floor boards and outside where it vents too. (is the condendation from outside coming back in through the long vent overhang and causing the condensation?) Should I close off some of the venting near where it vents out?

Old 03-12-07, 01:28 PM
Wink

Dont the dryer vent to the outside in its own vent???? With a flipper on it. Like said you sure the pipe is open all the way???

Old 03-12-07, 03:14 PM
A

Yes it has it's own duct only 10 feet long to the outside with a flapper the plastic flappers flap as the air comes out and the duct pipe is new (open) taped with metal tape at the few seams. It cause so much condensation and wets the cement outside right where the vents for the house are...I think it comes back into the crawl and sweats it up---it that possible? I could seal off some of the venting to the crawl near the pipe to see if that helps--what do you think? Local dryer guy says he sees nothing wrong, but they aren't experts with stopping condendation--just hooking up the duct. I must stop the condensation on the crawl floorboards before I get mold right? Should I post pics?

Old 03-12-07, 03:53 PM
Wink

Id seal some of the vent there by the dryer outlet. Can the wind blow the dryer air back into the crawl there????

Old 03-13-07, 01:39 PM
A
Reply & Last Question

Yes not only can the wind blow it back in, the dryer vent sits only a few inches above the overhang venting screen that vents the crawl. I am going to try closing some of the venting up near the dryer vent and see if that helps. Last question, when a person has problems with ducts & condensation not just heater ducts who does one call? Heater/AC guys are the ones who replace the dryer duct for us....... Because we decided to inspect all of our ducts and we noticed that in that attic that the two showers and the stove fan feeds up and out the roof, but the duct pipes are cut 1/2" short and don't feed well up into the roofventcap. We noticed that when they are on and someone is cooking or showering they heat up the attic with humidity, not enough that we saw condensation but the heat blowing into the attic was overwhelming from the stove fan. Aren't those suppose to be sealed up there too or just feed into the roofventcap more?

Old 03-13-07, 02:08 PM
Wink

Any sheet metal shop can fix them for you or call a hvac tech to do it. The fans have to vent out the roof not in the attic

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: